New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was fishing the hammond river under the train bridge and I caught a 24 inch , 5 pound pickerel. The fish was very fat. I caught it on a worm and spinner.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
If I don't see another pickerel again this year, I'll be happy. Right Bob?

(Bob and I were in a bass kayak fishing tourney in NS last weekend, and for every bass we caught we must have caught a douzen pickerel!)

·
Registered
492 Posts
If I don't see another pickerel again this year, I'll be happy. Right Bob?

(Bob and I were in a bass kayak fishing tourney in NS last weekend, and for every bass we caught we must have caught a douzen pickerel!)
hah! Buddy you should hope you catch at least one more or you are going to find it difficult to win the Paddler's Fishing Derby in June. heh

Now you could hope for a nice big fat long beastie...

·
2,366 Posts
hah! Buddy you should hope you catch at least one more or you are going to find it difficult to win the Paddler's Fishing Derby in June. heh

Now you could hope for a nice big fat long beastie...
Lol! Well, at least now I know HOW to catch pickerel, eh! Heh heh heh!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the best place is hard to pin down. the fish move, the tides and seasons change, and it's a fair sized river. the greatest number of species is from the train bridge down.. at the same time keep in mind we are not allowed to target salmon on the hammond river.

as for pickerel, they are almost all below the train bridge, all around darlings island. try a top water lure, a soft plastic or a minnow/crank bait for the pickerel, you will probabaly have better luck. they are ambush predators, so look for weedy cover.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I agree with Ipop, top water bright and noisey, run your lure across the front of weed beds and be prepared to get ambushed.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you go down the road towards the Darlings Island Covered Bridge, you will see train tracks running along side the road, just jump on the tracks and walk towards the bridge. When you are approaching the bridge from Darlings Island, the part of the river on the right is tidal and fishable, the part on the left is off limits untill April 15. You can walk down to the water when you get to the bridge, and fish all along the shore.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you go down the road towards the Darlings Island Covered Bridge, you will see train tracks running along side the road, just jump on the tracks and walk towards the bridge. When you are approaching the bridge from Darlings Island, the part of the river on the right is tidal and fishable, the part on the left is off limits untill April 15. You can walk down to the water when you get to the bridge, and fish all along the shore.
Awesome thanks Jim. Fishing any good there this time of year? If so, what can I expect to catch?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Awesome thanks Jim. Fishing any good there this time of year? If so, what can I expect to catch?
I went down there on friday. is it typical to catch brown trouts down there because I caught the biggest brown i have ever caught. It was 33 inches long but I didnt have anything to weight it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Morton- I doubt it was a Brown Trout. Do you have some photos? If you have the fish or catch another someday. Look inside the mouth on the tongue. If you see teeth along one side of the tongue and the same on the other side with the tongue square at the end then you have a brown trout. If the teeth look scattered on the tongue then you caught an Atlantic Salmon.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Morton- I doubt it was a Brown Trout. Do you have some photos? If you have the fish or catch another someday. Look inside the mouth on the tongue. If you see teeth along one side of the tongue and the same on the other side with the tongue square at the end then you have a brown trout. If the teeth look scattered on the tongue then you caught an Atlantic Salmon.

There were no scales tho...No I dont have a pic and I released the fish of course.

·
Registered
252 Posts

and it looked exactly like the browns we get out of 1st lake...next time I will check the teeth tho.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Black salmon and brownies look somewhat alike. I may have thrown back a 12 pound brown last year in River Philip thinking it was a black salmon that got back into shape after eating the smelts. The sea run browns are very silver just like a salmon. I caught this one in late may. They have caught some big browns like that in Nova Scotia every year.

I never had a hard time distinguishing a brown from an Atlantic before since the browns in the river become yellowish on the belly and orange and yellow spots on the side but this super silver fish I caught last May might have fooled me. Bright salmon don't usually run in River Philip until late summer/fall.

I might have thrown back the biggest brown trout I will ever catch. I guess I should have checked the tongue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Black salmon and brownies look somewhat alike. I may have thrown back a 12 pound brown last year in River Philip thinking it was a black salmon that got back into shape after eating the smelts. The sea run browns are very silver just like a salmon. I caught this one in late may. They have caught some big browns like that in Nova Scotia every year.

I never had a hard time distinguishing a brown from an Atlantic before since the browns in the river become yellowish on the belly and orange and yellow spots on the side but this super silver fish I caught last May might have fooled me. Bright salmon don't usually run in River Philip until late summer/fall.

I might have thrown back the biggest brown trout I will ever catch. I guess I should have checked the tongue.
I was told all salmon have scales and trout do not? what can u tell me about that

·
2,366 Posts
Hey Morton,
I've never caught a brown trout, but I have caught tons of brookies, and they don't have scales, and salmon have lots of scales.
As for the brown trout you caught at the Hammond River train bridge, I'd be ready to bet $100 it was a black salmon. I fish that river like there's no tomorrow, and I have never ever caught a brown trout there, nor have I ever heard of anybody catching a brown trout in there. Also, did it happen to jump out of the water?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts