New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a good evening up on the Cains.. hooked 3, landed 1. Of the half dozen fishermen up there I was the only one to hook into any fish other than one guy who caught a 12 inch trout.

I have no clue what fly I had on, just something I picked up somewhere, all three fish on the same fly. And same fly that I hooked a grilse up on the Renous on the 12th. One of the other fishermen said it looks like a copper killer.

I learned to tie the Duncan loop for my wet flies and in the week and a half that I've been using it, it certainly has improved my hook up percentage. I showed the loop to 3 different guys up there this evening. Hopefully it will work for them too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
had a good evening up on the Cains.. hooked 3, landed 1. Of the half dozen fishermen up there I was the only one to hook into any fish other than one guy who caught a 12 inch trout.

I have no clue what fly I had on, just something I picked up somewhere, all three fish on the same fly. And same fly that I hooked a grilse up on the Renous on the 12th. One of the other fishermen said it looks like a copper killer.

I learned to tie the Duncan loop for my wet flies and in the week and a half that I've been using it, it certainly has improved my hook up percentage. I showed the loop to 3 different guys up there this evening. Hopefully it will work for them too.
Chadman, was that Trout or Salmon on the Cains ?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hooked 3 salmon, landed 1

there was a guy up ahead of me in the pool who caught a 12 inch trout

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL ya I made sure to step out of the pool and forfeit my fish down after hooking up and only jumped back in after the person in front of me had started their next run down the pool.

I showed them all the fly and they all put something similar on but no one had any the same. I lent my spare fly to my buddy's wife but she didn't have any success with it. I gave her the fly anyway and picked some up today at Bryant's shop. He confirmed the fly for me, LT Special, it's a wet fly as you guys are probably aware. Last night they were hitting just as it was finishing the drift and just before the line was heading straight down the river but there was no hesitation, they hit it good.

If you are familiar with the area up there, it's one of the more common spots people go to fish. last night there was about 8 people there, however any spot that has public access I'm sure would have been just as good as where we were.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey chadman- I'm just 2 doors before Bryant's
did you see me out there this afternoon trying out a few fly rods across from his driveway? I picked up a 9wt Reddington rod there today, some new 9wt long distance casting main line and a whack of LT Specials! lol After hooking into that salmon the other week, I realized I had a week point in my setup, my rod! 7wt just isn't enough rod for those big fish... and some would say the week point is me! lol lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
No I was too busy tying flies but I've been out there recently with him and the 2 handed switch rod. He's convinced I'll have one by end of summer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts