New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started fly tying last Sunday, perhaps I should have start with something easier but I am focusing on bombers/bugs only since I am fishing 80% of my time with bombers....

Anyhow.. so far so good with my tying (I did 3 bombers so far...still nothing fishable yet tho lol). But I am having difficulties with my bombers hackles.

I believe the best place to attach the hackle is near the butt right? But does it matter if I attach the hackle on the side of the body, top, or under the body??

Also, as you know the hackle always have a better side than the other side, this matter as well? Which way should I spin the hackle, I should rotate the hackle with the ugly side towards me or the other way or it doesn't matter?

** I've been on youtube watching and learning since August, I didn't find any video talking about this either and the ones I've found are poor quality so...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tie in at rear of fly. Before or after body = personal preference. Concave or dull side of feather should end up facing front of fly. Also tie in by butt,far enough forwrd from tail so feather can cinch down into the deer hair. First wrap should go over stem of feather then go forward.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can tie them in by the butt or by the tip. I usually tie them in by the tip at the rear after I've trimmed the body. I spiral wind the hackle through the body ( palmer the hackle), then have my tying thread follow the hackle to the eye and tie off. This helps protect the hackles stem from breaking when the fish mouth it.

I like to double my hackle. I fold the fibres so they are on the same side of the centre stem of the feather. That way, when you palmer the hackle through the body, the hackle fibres don't get trapped under the stem and they all point outward, and the fly is " bushier".

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can tie them in by the butt or by the tip. I usually tie them in by the tip at the rear after I've trimmed the body. I spiral wind the hackle through the body ( palmer the hackle), then have my tying thread follow the hackle to the eye and tie off. This helps protect the hackles stem from breaking when the fish mouth it.

I like to double my hackle. I fold the fibres so they are on the same side of the centre stem of the feather. That way, when you palmer the hackle through the body, the hackle fibres don't get trapped under the stem and they all point outward, and the fly is " bushier".
Okay great! thanks!

ry again tonight perhaps I need more practice
... Either way, I am suppose to meet with Jacques H later on this week once again.... because I forgot about some of the techniques that it had shown me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts