New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is doing any fishing in Maine? They have alot going for them especially when it comes to trout and LLS. Firstly the non resident alien (non US resident) fishing license is very reasonable, 24 hours is $13 and 72 hours is $23. I've been going over the Grand lake Stream for the past few years for a weekend and staying at Canalside Cabins. There are plenty of other places to stay as well and they mostly range around $45 per night per person. Really this place has it all I take my boat and troll on the lake for LLS and lake trout and there are some whopper lake trout come out of that lake. If you prefer to wade and fly fish the stream that flows out of West Grand is considered to be of blue ribbon quality and is an FFO (fly fishing only) river it's mostly LLS caught in the stream. Maine has a stocking list that would choke a horse as they view as an investment in tourism. I think that most of the LLS caught are stocked but the lake trout in West Grand are wild. It's very easy to launch with public boat launches on both sides of the dam. The lake is huge and is best approached with a healthy dose of caution. There is alot of public access to the stream as well, even signs indicating where to park. It's a quaint little town where it's common to see fishermen hanging around outside the only store. We always cross at St Stephen / Calais and get our groceries there and it's only about another 45 mins into Maine. There are people flying in from everywhere just to fish there. Anyway we'll be going again this year in May.

Cheers
Bill G.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Awesome Bill that sounds like a great idea i just might do that this year.I have heard alot about the Landlocked salmon and trout in that area and that non resident license is very reasonable especially if you compare it with ours.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That sounds awsome thanks for the info Bill Gass, that sound like a decent place to go !
I'll deffinatly be checking it out soon !

·
Registered
53 Posts
this sounds good Bill...went on line and looked, looks very nice. It seems like it could be really congested.. the stream is only 3 miles long. Have you found it to be over crowded or have you just fished the lake?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't put that much effort into fishing the stream. Thats our back up plan in case it's too windy on the lake, which happened one year. There were 3 foot swells rolling in to shore and no one got out on the lake thsat weekend so we just contanted our selves with the stream Yes when the LLS run in GLS I've heard that it can be a circus however any time I've fished it I've found it to be no worse that at quarryville. Thats just at the dam pool if you go downstream usually there are less people there. One thing to pay careful attention is where the yellow markings are on the trees just below the dam and you aren't allowed to fish any closer that that. Not sure of the exact distance for Maine I think it is less than NB but it is marked and anyone there fishing could tell you as well. As for fishing west grand the lake, it's never been crowded because it's such a massive lake. If your motor quits you might be a while as boat traffic is really spread out. As for navigation well lets just say caution is best exercised, because depending on the water level there are some bad rock piles hundreds of meters off shore.

Cheers
Bill G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts