New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! My Husband and I have been fishing for years and started fly fishing about 3 years ago. We spend lots of time up river along the salmon run areas...but were thinking of going someplace different on our week of holidays in June (3rd week of June). Mike had mentioned wanting to fish some saltwater fishies....are there any good areas we should look into? We have a camper and can go stay someplace or at a campground if that's easier too. Any advice would be great! That week is his birthday, I thought it would be a fun way to spend the day

I suppose in light of that, not only areas...but gear/lures. I'm not sure if in our angling kit we've made over the years for bass, perch etc that we'd have what we need for saltwater fish? We're definately "in the dark" so to say on this....

Thanks so much for any advice you can give! I truly appreciate it!

- Erin

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Somebody might be able to enlighten you better than me, but in my experience there isn't much saltwater fishing until August. I think there's good squid fishing in late June, early July in the Lepreau area, but guys like ipop would be able to fill you in more on saltwater fishing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody might be able to enlighten you better than me, but in my experience there isn't much saltwater fishing until August. I think there's good squid fishing in late June, early July in the Lepreau area, but guys like ipop would be able to fill you in more on saltwater fishing.
I wonder what/where would be better for us to fish during that time if year then?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I was landing mackerel, smelt and squid that week last year in blacks harbour. also lost a good size bottom fish. blacks and beaver harbour are both nice places to salt water fish. you can try from the wharfs or from a boat or even just shore. this is the begging of the season for these species, so the bite can be hot/cold, definitely try around high tide. the stripers will be back in then too, so they are a possibility. as mentioned above, flounder can be fun and easily taken at high tide mostly. keep in mind if you are keeping them you will need ice for the flounder - they go bad faster than any other fish I know of. there are also polluck, which can be found off most points. there are a ton of bass in the lakes in that area, so you can fish for both salt and fresh water species on the same day, which is sort of fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the info! I'm leaning towards heading down to that area for a few days. My Hubby is game as long as we have someplace to put the camper. I'll have to research some campgrounds in the Black's Harbour vicinity. We're really excited to try something new. We fly fish alot up along the miramichi area/water systems. Living in Keswick Ridge, we fish the Keswick lots too. Lots of feisty Bass in there
Tho, I didn't realize it till a few years ago, the Keswick is Fly only starting July 1st. I don't remember it being that way before, but it is now.

Well, off I scoot to find some campgrounds! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose I should also find out what the licencing requirements are for fishing coastal waters, as well as bag limits....hmmmm. I'll be spending lots of time web surfing today

1 - 9 of 9 Posts