New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

glow sticks

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Stroover 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are you allowed to use artificial light to help you catch fish? They do it in the US, and I emailed DNR about it, but they never responded (a few weeks ago). If there are no restrictions, I would like to experiment with submerging glowsticks a foot or so under the ice. The idea would be that the light would attract zooplankton, which would attract smelts. I'm also thinking about painting jigs with super glow paint from Jans netcraft or something similar, to see if it would be beneficial.
Any thoughts?

#4 ·
I bought some strands of glow in the dark fibre for tying flies, but would it actually be defined as light? Bought it just out of curiousity since I don't fly fish at night. I tried it on a couple of patterns I use in cloudy water and it seemed to improve my catch rate and then I tried it in bright sunlight and it worked even better. Go figure! Must say something about how fish (in this case salmon) see, but what?

#6 ·
str00ver, i believe the eel spearers are a commercial fishery (which was supposed to be outlawed 3 years ago now - eels are endangered), which is why they ignore/are exempt from the rule...just like the sturgeon commercial fishery (i could go on for hours about that abuse!!!!!!)

glow is a little trickier. if it's naturaly based, by at least one rule it's legal, yet by the fly fishing rules so long as it's artificial it's allowed so long as it's not added for weight...very tricky! neon is allowed. optic fibre is allowed so long as the light source is the sun/moon (ie: not artifical or a fire)

i would think if it came up you would be okay with glow in the dark for day fishing since the light source is still the sun. using the little laser they sell to charge them, or the more common camera flash is questionable.

#8 ·
See, that's where you're partially wrong, Jim. You CAN fish at night on tidal waters, which is where most ice fishing takes place, which is where we ice fish. So, bearing in mind that one can fish 24hrs/day on tidal waters, can one use glowstick or glow-in-the-dark lures for fishing? That's the question at hand.

@ipop: come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any eel spearers this summer.

#13 ·
I finally got a reply from them. It looks like glow in the dark flies/jigs are allowed. Here is their response
:

Thank you for your inquiry.

This question may be best direct to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. The issue relates to section 8 of the Maritime Provinces Fishery Regulations (MPFR): "No person shall fish in inland waters with the aid of an artificial light or light from a fire."

Based on discussions with DFO a couple of years ago on this issue, it appears that light produced from phosphorescent materials (items that glow in the dark without a power source) are legal to use while angling.

FYI, as defined in the MPFR: "artificial fly" means a single hook, a double hook or two single hooks that are dressed with materials likely to attract fish and to which no weight, spinning device or natural bait is attached; (mouche artificielle)

Department of Natural Resources / Ministère des Ressources naturelles
Fish and Wildlife Branch / Direction du Poisson et de la faune

Telephone: 506-453-2440

Fax: 506-453-6699

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.