New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I tried the steel rod with a cut up extention cord pluged in a 110 volt outlet, It kind of worked, only got two nightcrawlers. I'm sure theres something I'm missing. How big should the rods be? how far into the ground should they go? Is it to late in the season to get a lot of crawlers doing this? Any help would be great, Thanks

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I would get 4 - 6 at a time, but the nice thing abot using the electrodes is you don't have to wait till dark, just go get them whenever you can get out.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I read somewhere that you can connect jumper cables to your car battery, and connect the other ends to two screw drivers and stick them in the ground about 2 feet apart.

When I lived in Louisiana, they showed me something that worked well: We'd squird Ivory Liquid (not any other brand as only that one would work for whatever reason) on the ground in an area abou 5'x5', then squirt water on this for a minute or two. The worms would quickly come out of the ground and wiggle their arses off. We'd pick tem up, and clean the soap off of them, then put them in the can.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try soon. Hopefully there will be some around after the rain tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try soon. Hopefully there will be some around after the rain tomorrow night.
You can also spray the ground with vinegar, that irritates them and they come out to try and get away from it. Another way is boarding them, drive a 1x 4 or 1x6 into the ground a few feet and then take another board and drag it across the top of the one you put in the ground, the vibrations going into the ground drives them out.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
You can also spray the ground with vinegar, that irritates them and they come out to try and get away from it. Another way is boarding them, drive a 1x 4 or 1x6 into the ground a few feet and then take another board and drag it across the top of the one you put in the ground, the vibrations going into the ground drives them out.
I've tried something similar with limited success. It consisted of a stick with a serrated edge stuck into the ground, and using another stick to rub that one quickly up and down the serrated edge, making vibrations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I was a kid I would just go for a walk in the rain and pick up as many as I wanted. Seems to be way more of them on the road in densely packed subdivisions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts