New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day of the season on the Hammond and so much for sea run trout. Saw a few hundred gaspereau moving up the river today. Time to move onto streams and brooks for now.
Heard of some people hooking into some nice salmon near the angling association as well as some smallmouth bass being caught.
Cheers.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
We were on the Hammond as well, but way up river. We didn't get a single trout, but heard they were getting them by the train bridge. I got two salmon grils way up there. We were surprised to see them that far up river this time of year (they were slinks). The main reason we were up river was to avoid the salmon in the first place. We were fly fishing, so they were both quckly and safely released with no injury at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh your right about that! the salmon were nuts today!!! we only caught one trout all day, and one smallie, but must have landed 8-9 salmon though. unbelievable day!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What were you using when catching salmon?
I was nymphing all morning between first bend past angling association and deep hole and only snagged a bass.

Stroover, how far up the hammond were you?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
We were around Upham. I used muddler minnows, woolybuggers, and nymphs and didn't get a thing. I switched to a buck bug I tie (my killer trout fly) and got those two grilse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey just wundering if anyone can fill me in on where to go to hook into a grilse or trout..in sj right now not to framiliar with the area..if someone could just point me in the rink direction to go to a decent area on the hammand sometime tonight and what to use id really appreciate it..is it fly fishing only?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
you are not allowed to target the salmon on the hammond, they have to be immediately released, so keep that in mind. it becomes fly fishing only in july but is open to all gear right now.

the trout were hitting spinner and worm and small bomber flies and even one was caught on a dark streamer. i saw a number of may flies on ther water, so they should work too. not many trout caught today there, but lots of black were c&r and the yellow perch were biting as soon as the sun started to go down. hopefully the trout bite will get better soon. i didn`t see any gaspereaux.

for places to fish there, basicly anywhere from the green train bridge up to a mile above the fishing association lodge (past crowleys pool) seemed to be the places the fish were being caught, but that is sort of like saying they were in the water - it`s still too early to tell where the real hot spots are. i was talking to some one for every hit and fish i landed today except one, so look for some people fishing and say hello.

·
Registered
138 Posts
so where are all the trout in hammond river i fished all the way from the covered bridge off the highway down too deep hole.... didn't get a rise/hit... i was using fly.... nymphs and streamers and nothing was working at all... seen one trout rise in deep hole at about 2 in the afternoon and nothing after that.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
only trout we got on the hammond was down past the train bridge, just past the fork. caught on a little f-5 brown trout rapala. other then that nothing on the hammond. later that day went and hiked some brooks,about half a dozen resident brookies but nothing over 8-9 inches. only nice sized trout i heard of were up by the upham area.

·
Registered
138 Posts
only trout we got on the hammond was down past the train bridge, just past the fork. caught on a little f-5 brown trout rapala. other then that nothing on the hammond. later that day went and hiked some brooks,about half a dozen resident brookies but nothing over 8-9 inches. only nice sized trout i heard of were up by the upham area.
so have the sea trout already gone up the hammond..?? i heard the gaspereux are already up river does this mean that the sea trout are up too...??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you say trout are not out of the Hammond yet i'll give it another try on Friday. Most likely still in the upper part of the river. I don't know how fast gaspereau migrate, but hopefully not that fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw the gaspereau in the straight stretch between deep hole and angling association. I was walking on the elevated bank an there was a huge school just below me. I wish they were trout!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Still too early for sea trout isnt it? Ive only ever caught 1 down by salt springs 2 years ago, no luck any other time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts