New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have been pushing my luck these last few days with a big run of bright salmon coming in the river I fish. In the last 3 days I landed 2 grilse, lost 2 grilse, and lost 4 30+ inch salmon. All caught on a reddington classic trout 5wt. When you get a decent fish on it is a blast. Just make sure to use small enough tippet to break it off instead of the rod.

Going to head back out and might hit up a pool where some monsters have been seen. Well over the 40inch mark. I don't think I could land one by myself with a 5wt but it would be fun to try.

Tight lines everyone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Water was to high today but when it goes down I will be out menacing the salmon with my med. action 5wt.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I found last season that 95% of the fish I caught were grilse in the 3-5lb range so it got me thinking I would be better suited with a lighter rod. I bought my son a 6wt for Christmas with that in mind. He caught his first grilse on it in June with no problem and hooked 5 more over the summer including one salmon about 12lbs; again, no problem. The only thing he could have used was a fighting butt to help relieve the arm strain lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A fighting butt would be nice. I've had a couple of salmon on 30+ inches and the arm gets pretty tired. They all released themselves so I never got to get a pic with one yet.

Alot of people say you need a minimum 7wt. I would have to agree if you are fishing in the summer when the water is very warm and you need to land a fish quickly or to break them off. In the fall when the water is freezing you are able to play with the fish a little and can use a rod with very little back bone. I've landed a 26 inch fish and two grilse around 21-23 inches all under 4mins of fighting and one had sea lice on him. I have to say that it was no prob with the 5wt. Kinda worried about hooking into a fish over 34 inches but if I have the room I should be able to properly fight and land it no prob.

As long as you have your drag properly set and don't mind letting a fish run than reeling him back in you should be able to land pretty near any fish in the rivers around here. Just try to steer the fish away from debris and fast water and take your time and keep on the pressure. You arm will get tired though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was out again tonight and yesterday as well as Sunday but with the water as high as it is it has been alot slower fish wise. Had four tugs and seen a few jump but some people have been having alot of luck in different pools. Still need a salmon for my 5wt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was out again tonight and yesterday as well as Sunday but with the water as high as it is it has been alot slower fish wise. Had four tugs and seen a few jump but some people have been having alot of luck in different pools. Still need a salmon for my 5wt.
Once again what river are you on? Don't need the spot just curious what river is still open to fish for salmon. Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bartibog, Burnt church, tabusintac, Nepisiguit,Tracadie,South Caraquet; alot of rivers in the Chaleur drainage, some close the 22nd and some are open till 29th. Too far for me to go and don't know where to fish 'em.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts