New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I started the afternoon / evening fish around 3 (dress pants and all under my waders..lol)

I fished the rapids first, released line and let the fly swim in the water and moved it from side to side slowly. I had a tug but then nothing.

Went to the pool and noticed a Salmon jump near the end of the pool, so I made my way closer. I cast out into the rapids and let out alot of line so the fly could make it down stream to where the Salmon was. I had a good tug, so I did it again and another tug. did this several more times with nothing happening.

Two guys show up so I watched them fish the pool and saw 1 salmon and 1 grilse jump on the otehr side of the pool (running not stopping at the pool). Switched from a traditional Alley Shrimp to a bit different Alley with 2 hooks (thinking it would go deeper down?)

They left and I decided to relocated back to the rapids but river current would't keep my line where the fish run up stream. Started looking behind me for a better spot and noticed a Salmon jump. Relocated up stream 50 yards above teh salmon and cut across the river. I released line and let it float in the current near where I thought the Salmon jumped. After 5 mins of moving slowly towrd teh other shore, the salmon rolled over my fly, then nothing. I moved teh fly toward me then let it back out, 10 mins later a little tug, then nothing.

Saw a grilse jump further down to the right, relocated there but it never wanted my fly (jump two more times).

With one hour left I crossed the river and went back to the pool. Made my way back down to where the first Salmon jump and tried shorter casts. I saw a deer cross the river about 350 yards in front of me. Couple of casts later I had a tug, so I recast again and had another tug. About 2 mins later a fat salmon jumps broadside about 15-20 feet below the tugs.

6 fish jumped (10+/- times total), 5 tugs on the fly, 1 salmon rolled and 1 deer sighting...fun but frustrating.

What did I do right? Wrong? Should have do something different?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Far be it for me to tell you how to fish - but rather than let your line hang and sway back and forth in the current, make a cast quartering across-current downstream - let the line swing until it is directly below you, give it a couple twitches, if nothing grabs, then pull up and cast again - stripping a few more inches of line off on your cast. Repeat this until you're reaching the far side, or are casting to the limits of your ability. Then move down close to where your last flies were reaching, shorten-up and go again. This is generally how I fish if I'm on a pool by myself.
I would bet a couple of those hard tugs you had were salmon - but as you will find out, it is extremely hard to get a good hookset on a fish when it takes on the dangle (straight below you). You'll hook up a lot more of your fish by casting and swinging your fly IMO. Watch the water too - in a lot of cases grilse and salmon will move water when they take - if you see a swirl, chances are it was a grilse or salmon, and not a trout or parr.

Good luck Moose.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Far be it for me to tell you how to fish - but rather than let your line hang and sway back and forth in the current, make a cast quartering across-current downstream - let the line swing until it is directly below you, give it a couple twitches, if nothing grabs, then pull up and cast again - stripping a few more inches of line off on your cast. Repeat this until you're reaching the far side, or are casting to the limits of your ability. Then move down close to where your last flies were reaching, shorten-up and go again. This is generally how I fish if I'm on a pool by myself.
I would bet a couple of those hard tugs you had were salmon - but as you will find out, it is extremely hard to get a good hookset on a fish when it takes on the dangle (straight below you). You'll hook up a lot more of your fish by casting and swinging your fly IMO. Watch the water too - in a lot of cases grilse and salmon will move water when they take - if you see a swirl, chances are it was a grilse or salmon, and not a trout or parr.

Good luck Moose.
ya what Bonasa U said.. you'll get a much better hook set on swinging fly than one that is at the end of the swing and just dangling there... if you have many tugs on just the dangling fly.. I'd suggest holding your line while fishing and when you get the tug, lift the rod and pull the line at the same time vs just lifting the rod.. this should help you hook up better for that method of fishing. Generally I find on a swinging fly the fish pretty much hook themselves, but I still lift the rod too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't be complaining...ya could've still been sittin' in those dress pants behind a desk!

I've certainly had a few of those nights this past summer - its still fun to get out tho!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a great days fishing to me.

Keep at it. Speaking personally I've found that changing my focus, and how I'm covering the water in response to salmon jumping someplace else in the pool / run ..... (Which one can only When they are alone) has proven ineffective. Others may disagree.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ya what Bonasa U said.. you'll get a much better hook set on swinging fly than one that is at the end of the swing and just dangling there... if you have many tugs on just the dangling fly.. I'd suggest holding your line while fishing and when you get the tug, lift the rod and pull the line at the same time vs just lifting the rod.. this should help you hook up better for that method of fishing. Generally I find on a swinging fly the fish pretty much hook themselves, but I still lift the rod too.
Can't add much to those to good answers....all you can do is cover the water and a dangling fly is only covering one spot....salmon are more likely to take on the swing than on a dead drift....change up your angle slightly from time to time which changes up the speed of the fly in the water

1 - 8 of 8 Posts