New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i know there are plenty of pickeral in french lake but just wondering whats the bass fishing like, and wondering if there are any boating hazards to know about, any info appreciated thanks Rod

·
Registered
91 Posts
Which french Lake do you mean? There's two close to Fredericton, one on each side of the Saint John. I've caught bass and pickerel in both, although I think the one off the Oromocto is more productive for bass, but that's from limited experience on the other. Be careful in both, there's plenty of shallow water although much of it is mud and so won't damage props too much.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Whatch out for the ice ! lol tis the season to be hard water fishing !!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks guys,i guess i should have said which lake, its the one next to indian and maquapit, my dad just bought a cottage there and we hope to do alot of fishing and boating next summer, as for the ice fishing, isit mostly pickeral your targeting and what kind of bait will they go for, the same as summer or something else? Just wondering if anyone knows how deep french lake is and if its any trouble to get through to maquapit, by looking at google maps the channel doesn't look very big but i know its hard to tell by computer screen, thanks again guys, its great to have locals to talk to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
by brother in law lives on french lake and he has taken me out a few times in the winter...he says if you can get some live minnows u wont be able to keep them off your hooks but we were unable to get some so we used a piece of raw bacon on the hook and had some decent success...cant remember how many but we hooked quite a few....in the summer jut find some weeds and rip a plaastic frog over th weeds and ur guarunteed to get some...the channel is deep enough to get from frnech to maquapit but you gotta be carefull of dead fall and rocks...maquapit is my home lake and there are a few good spots that i go....message me if ya wanna no ill google earth it er something...good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by brother in law lives on french lake and he has taken me out a few times in the winter...he says if you can get some live minnows u wont be able to keep them off your hooks but we were unable to get some so we used a piece of raw bacon on the hook and had some decent success...cant remember how many but we hooked quite a few....in the summer jut find some weeds and rip a plaastic frog over th weeds and ur guarunteed to get some...the channel is deep enough to get from frnech to maquapit but you gotta be carefull of dead fall and rocks...maquapit is my home lake and there are a few good spots that i go....message me if ya wanna no ill google earth it er something...good luck
thanks big ol buck, look forward to chatting with u sometime, by the sounds of your name i take it your a hunter also, is there lots of big game around that area

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks big ol buck, look forward to chatting with u sometime, by the sounds of your name i take it your a hunter also, is there lots of big game around that area
Ya a hunter to....there is no shortage of deer around there...iv been four wheelin out in the evenings and seen upto 50 sometimes...good numbers of moose and lots a really good duck and geese hunting...also good partridge hunting and bears are kickin around to...even seen a turkey last year but i dont know if it was wild...i guess someone raises them someewheres in the area lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya a hunter to....there is no shortage of deer around there...iv been four wheelin out in the evenings and seen upto 50 sometimes...good numbers of moose and lots a really good duck and geese hunting...also good partridge hunting and bears are kickin around to...even seen a turkey last year but i dont know if it was wild...i guess someone raises them someewheres in the area lol
thats awesome, hope to do a little hunting in the future, i usually go to ns deer hunting for the past 10 yrs and i do alot of goose hunting over here on pei. We dont have much going for us ,but we do have some decent waterfowling at times.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
there are normally a couple ice fishing tourneys for pickeral on french lake each season. just keep checking the site, they will be posted by somebody. a lot of fun, be sure to take high boots, the lake often has water/slush on to of the ice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys... would anyone know about the ice thickness on Frensh lake at the moment ???
Is it fishable yet ???
I mean Frensh lake close to Indian !
I was planing on going fishing tomorrow but not sure if the ice is hard and thick enough !

Cheers !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts