New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i was told the same, this saturday at french lk.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Paul; Gallant Memorial tourny is on Saturday at French on the end of the sandpoint, pretty sure it starts at 8 but not 100%, ill post up all the details when i find out, its usually the biggest tourny of the season, a lot oof sponsoirs and always a huge tournout, usually upwards of 100 ppl

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
thanks pond jumper, that gives me another hours sleep.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i had great fun at the pickerel tourney. ice conditions were bad for driving but good for fishing. a kind soul offered me a ride out on the ice with my gear in his argo - many thanks!
i had planed to try the spot the tourney before but had eneded up just fishing indian, so i wasn`t that surprised to see others setting up nearby. i went about 60-80 yrds past them and started augering, dropping double holes due to the 5" aguer and losing more than a few at the hole at the last tourney (a few hours into it i changed most of these to triple holes...lol) my first hole had only a foot of water below it - ohps, a little close to shore - lol! but by the time i had my third hole done and tip up set, i quickly landed my first pickerel, which turned out to be the biggest i caught during the tourney (just under 23"). from then on i was busy landing fish and baiting lines, droppping new holes to replace a few unproductive ones. a few surprises, including catching a 13" cat fish (my first through the ice) and seeing a tip up get hit, then smashed, which turned out to be a yellow perch taking my bait, and a pickerel taking the yellow perch. unfortunatly i only landed the perch.

i landed my biggest of the day after the tourney. i had stayed to do some more fishing (2 hour drive so i may as well fish the whole day). i had caught 2 right after the tourney, then lost a nice one, then the bite dropped off as the sun went down. i packed up the rigs one at a time from the warmth of my shack, and when it came to the last one, the same that had landed my biggest pickerel, i just lifted the tip up, and the pickerel nailed it hard! lol, i knew if he was hooked up well i would land it, that tip up had 30lb mono (i save my striper line when it gets to short for those big fish), and he turned out to be just over 25". i sent him right back down the hole after a quick measurement, i find the smaller ones cook up better and i had kept enough for some good meals, like i had for lunch today - yum! over the day I landed: a yellow perch; a catfish; 13 pickerel during the tourney and 3 pickerel after the tourney.

on the way up, while driving i was thinking that i really should have gotten a fall tune up, at least changed the oil, filter, and maybe a lube. at the tourney, i won, from Meineke Car Care Center (15 Royal Park Lane) oil, filter and lube! perfect! this years fishing is starting out great! lol! thanks, and thanks to all involved for such a well run and fun tournement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ipop......that's great to here your story and that you had a good time! I as well had a fantastic time, even with the only two i landed (pickerel)I live in the area and it was my first tourny on French lake.It was a nice turn out and i thank the people that made it happen.

I think if all goes well with the weather i'll try out some other spots close buy this coming weekend.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ipop i think i was set up just down from you, with the dodge dakota and all the kids lol That area has always been great for pickerel and big yellow perch, i have a depth map of the lake and in that particular area there are two deep channels with a shallow hump in between...i know exactly where it is and usually set up right on the hump in 8ft of water with 15feet or more on one side and about 12 on the other, we did quite good although the perch were starting to get quite annoying, they cleaned out my minnows pretty quick, are biggest landed was 22.5, my firdst fish of the day, thought for sure it was a good sign but tings went down hill from there, we lost a lot of fish, had one take teh top of one of my tipups down the hole before i got to it, my mother had one break 15lb test line on a run and my brother lost an absolute hog, he had his head come up hafl way out of the hole when the hook came out , it got turned around before he could get a hold of it, the disadvantage of using a 9 inch hole i guess. I never got much chance to fish since i was helping out all the kids, Was still a great day, had all my little cousins out, a lot of first fish caught that afternoon, the smiles and excitment were well worth the multiple trips to shore in teh truck to lug em all out lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just a few quick questions. IPop, I see you had a great day on Saturday. I'm just wondering what you were using for bait and where abouts, roughly, were you fishing. This is my first year ice fishing, I try to go every weekend, but it seems to be hit or miss. My wife and I go out with our kids and would like for them to catch some nice sized fish, other than perch or smelt. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it does sound like we were set up beside each other pond jumper, i was in the grey portable shack. are you missing a tip up? i found one still set while i was leaving.

Artyhunter, we were just past the end of the narrows, on the main lake end, and i ususally fish at the other end, so by that, anywhere in the narrows area should be good fishing. if you set up tip ups from anywhere near shore (with a few feet of water) out to about 60 yrds out, this will give you a good spread to start. after the first few fish, move the unproductive tip ups around the fish catching ones. pond jumpers group were catching them further out than i was fishing. for bait i was using whole smelt. tend your baits, give the tip up a little tap now and then, and do the same by giving them a little lift - this can easily trigger a pickerel hit, normally just after you walked away...lol!

·
Registered
438 Posts
ipop its very possible i left one behind, we had a lot of them out, it would either be a black ht ploar tip up, a round ht thermal but i thought i got those all up, or a cheap orange ploar style one, i had a few homemade ones out to but I thought i had them all up

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it`s the cheap orange polar style. we will have to meet up some time so i can give it to you. i`ll be going up to get that oil change and see if we can do it then. i might be going up to french or indian again too for another fish.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What's the entry fee? What are the prizes? When is the end time? Longest fish wins, best of three, most or total length. You may need to put some more information on your poster because many people who are not familiar with the derby would not bother finding that information out and not attend.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it says they have lots of fishing gear - that`s a rare thing for around here, a tourney offering to supply gear. i think i will bring my own, just in case. bait could be a little tricky at the moment. for future reference, an 8am start is early if you have to drive about 2 hrs to get there.
don`t forget to take your high rubber boots, it will be wet on the ice then.

a price (if any), set finish time and some sort of rules would be handy to know about.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is no entry fee and I don't think there are any prizes, just a fun day for ice fishermen. The group drills lots of holes and hopes to have folks come and use them. I was there wed. and saw 10 fish caught in 2 hours.
Is there a better way to announce NB tournes on this list.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i would start a new lead to make it stand out better, with the tourney name for the title. this sounds like more of a fun day. i`m assuming they are doing it for research info? no prizes explains the open finish time, and also means i will not be getting up at 6am to get there for 8am, instead i will get there a little later.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts