New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

New Guy here, just have an issue with The Frackers.

For about 20 years now I've been going to my favorite fishing hole. I go there about four times a year, I sometimes just go without a rod, to watch the fish in the brook, there were hundreds in this one hole, about twice a year I'll bring my limit home for my folks.....I don't eat fish so its all catch and release for me. Its a nice untouched brook in behind my folks place...30 min.walk through some fields. There are plenty of wildlife there too....deer, eagles, hawks, otters. There is even these two salt springs bubbling up from the ground feeding the hole.

Last weekend I went to the hole.....only to find the Frackers took some big machine down in there, they used some old road, overgrown with trees, well they ran them over and cut alot of others down, there was this nice big tree shadowing the hole, they cut that down, the nice hole is now filled with branches, soil, rocks and whatever else. The salt spring isn't flowing like it used to, I looked in to see the fish, and could only count about 20, I only caught four that day.....I never saw any wildlife either.....very sad.

Is there anything I can do to prevent anymore destruction?

·
Registered
576 Posts
i'm pretty certain there are guidelines wood cutters or anyone are suppose to use when cutting around or crossing water courses. check with dnr and if the people are still in the area they might be able to fine them. worth a shot anyhow..

·
Registered
184 Posts
I may be incorrect, but I do not believe there are any active hydraulic fracturing rigs in the province. There are some licenses out for seismic testing this year, much of that takes place along roadways. An exploratory well for hydro fracking is a semi permanent installation with significant road construction, lots of equipment and people for a prolonged period of time. It sounds like you are describing something more like forestry equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe if a person is working with equipment within 30 meters of a waterway, they would require a permit from DOE for water course alteration. You can check with you local DOE separtment to see if a permit was issued but it sounds from like proper protocols were not followed, if waste was deposited in the watercourse.The permit must also be displayed for the public to see like you see along the new highway construction.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Salar 1 is right about the permit. I'm curious why the damage was blamed on frackers? I'm sure there must be a reason for that.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Doesn't matter who it was, if it was done in the way Aquaholic described, then it sounds like it's illegal and wrong. There is a buffer zone in which nobody can legally cut trees along a waterway, be it a stream or a full-fledged river.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will certainly check and recheck all my information before making any moves, might have been the seismic testing Twinfan was talking about, not sure.
But either way the old hole thats been there for, long before I was born, is gone now. I will find out and call the proper authorities.
Thank You all for the advice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
might have been the seismic testing Twinfan was talking about, not sure.
Not likely, don't think any of the seismic companies have started work for the season yet. Around here they mostly use existing roadways and much of their gear would not be used to cross a stream. Post some pictures of the area and the damage that you are talking about. I suspect there are a few folks who could make an educated guess. Call Dept of Environment, you can find them on the GNB website.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stroover,

There are permits, that one can apply for, from DOE in order to selectively cut or to work within this buffer zone but proper protocols have to be followed.

I do want to make one point; even though a person or a company has a permit to work within this buffer zone, it doesn't mean that there will not be any damage to the environment. Case in point, along the number one four lane highway project. The company doing the work has been given a permit or permits to work with these buffer zones, of numerous rivers and streams and I have never seen so much siltation on streams for so long of a period of time. In one casee it has been a year and a half and that is with a permit in hand.

I do believe in such cases there should have been a closure to angling in certain sections downstream of the construction zones for a period of time, to help the fish populations, recover from damages caused by lost spawning habitat caused by the siltation deposits, to help offset the effects of the construction project. Atleast a permit does try to minimize the damages by applying certain conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts