New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out at Ritchie lake last night. Saw a couple big schools of Gaspereaux around. Looks like the run is on. Explains why the pickerel weren't hitting a thing.
But if any of you smoke them or use them for striper bait. I recommend heading down and grabbing some.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Was out at Ritchie lake last night. Saw a couple big schools of Gaspereaux around. Looks like the run is on. Explains why the pickerel weren't hitting a thing.
But if any of you smoke them or use them for striper bait. I recommend heading down and grabbing some.
Ok, do you mind explaining to me how the heck does one CATCH gaspereau???? Is it even possible??? (with a fishing rod, I mean, not with a trolling net or whatever).

·
Registered
428 Posts
In Ritchie Lake, the gaspereau are more difficult to catch than if they were in a river. The best approach is fishing a cove in the evening with a dry fly or nymphing with a sparse black larve pattern or even a bare black hook. If you want to catch gaspereau every cast, fly fish in the Hammond with a small wet fly with a red,pink or orange body, no tail and a sparse wing of synthetic hair or sparse hackle. For spinning, a number 1 or 2 silver spinner works well or even a bare black hook (make it almost bare in case the wardens have issue with it) and a few split shot. That will catch you some shad as well.

The gaspereau in ritchie lake will all gather in one or two BIG schools on/near the surface and begin doing laps around the lake for a evening or two when they are ready to spawn. It is something else to see. Also, the biggest pickerel in the lake will hunt in schools and follow the gaspereau around or locate themselves in an area that is a natural corral and provides good cover and deep water access. The first week or so after the gaspereau leave the lake is when you have the best luck at getting into more than one 24"+ pickerel in the same general area.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Once the gaspereau arrive, how long do they hang around for? I've never purposely went after them, so I don't know. It's always been like, "oh, the gaspereau are here now. I guess trout fishing is now shot" and I go home. I'd like to try to catch some this year, though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was out at richie lake with my dad and we caught 5 the day before that we caught 9 and one had a 12 CM scar from another pickerel, that proves that there are some monsters in there . and this was a couple of days ago and we caught plenty, just head up to the mash with a spinner and worms and you'll catch some. also last year me and brendan almost caught a monster ( broke the line twice and broke the leader once ) . there out there, just go up to the marsh ion a kayak or canoe, throw an ancor in the water and cast

·
Registered
144 Posts
Once the gaspereau arrive, how long do they hang around for? I've never purposely went after them, so I don't know. It's always been like, "oh, the gaspereau are here now. I guess trout fishing is now shot" and I go home. I'd like to try to catch some this year, though.
behind my house in the woods there is a stream about 5 feet wide and there is at least 100 gaspereau in there ive tried a couple of times but only caught one by it running into the hook. but i would like to catch some too cause its fun to just go out and catch some whenyou dont have alot of time tpo go anywhere in the kayak

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have never caught a gaspereau by it taking bait ! I guess what I'm saying is if it is fouled hooked then it is jigging sorry but I'm willing to drive anywhere in this province to see with my own eyes that they actually will take anything on a hook.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have never caught a gaspereau by it taking bait ! I guess what I'm saying is if it is fouled hooked then it is jigging sorry but I'm willing to drive anywhere in this province to see with my own eyes that they actually will take anything on a hook.
Ive never caught them with spinning gear where they purposly took the hook but ive caught them many times fly fishing for white perch, they seem to like small bright colored flies with not much to them,like the same flies you would use for shad they will inhale them a lot of times before the perch even know they are there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts