New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fly fishing any good early? For lakes or streams rivers brooks ponds creeks? If so what usual bites early new to fly fishing early season I fly fished but only in summer when it's good I was told but I here people fly fish early whenever really?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My first bit of advice would be to read the rules. Not all types of water open at the same time of year. There are also some specific restrictions on certain types of fly fishing tackle on specific water, depending on the date. http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/nr-rn/pdf/en/Fish/Fish.pdf

Your question is asking if fly fishing is "any good" early in the season. Fly fishing is just a tackle system, it is neither good or bad at any time of the year. The real question is whether your target fish species can easily be caught using fly tackle early in the season. The answer will depend on your understanding of fish behaviour and whether you can use fly tackle to present something they will want to either eat or attack for territorial reasons.

Usually the challenge around here relates to water temperature and whether it is warm enough for your target species to be active and feeding. Trout and salmon become active at lower temperatures then bass and pickerel, for example. If you were asking how to have the best luck trout fishing early in streams with fly tackle, I would suggest fishing weighted flies and streamers in eddys and other features that are sheltering fish from currents and helping them conserve energy. Get your fly deep and moving as slow as possible. If you wander out on April 15th with a fly rod and toss a floating mayfly imitation into the middle of a chocolate brown river that is flooded into the alders, you will likely have a cold and frustrating day of fly fishing.

There are lots of great resources for fly fishing, both on the web and in print. An evening or two of reading will be time well spent as you wait for the season to open.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks And no I know rules and dates and that thier are different times for different fishing opening not all at once on april 15th I wouldnt fish before then because I have common sense.. I was refering to the 15th for brooks etc, But my other question is has anyone done go in early season for trout in general.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Best thing I found for brook trout is put what ever tackle your using on the bottom and wait, I found they tend not to be very active and tend to feed off the bottom. This year I would expect to be diferent by the time season opens, water temps will decide and there is such thing as too cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts