New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have been fishing with a rod and reel for about 30 years now but would like to move on to bigger and better things. I moved to NB a few years ago and spend more time watching the people around me fly fishing than I do watching my own line lol. It looks like so much more fun than sitting on the bank waiting for the end of my rod to twitch. I would like to get into this art but know nothing about it. I would like to get a fly rod and reel for trout and practice on them before I try for Salmon. Any advice on a good size flyrod and reel for small trout would be great. Any other advice at all would be very appreciated

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you are in Saint John, go see Don Gallager 172 Pauline St. 645-1170. He can fix you up with anything you need.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Moncton area go see Bryant Freeman at Eskape Anglers
23 Wentworth Drive, Riverview, NB E1B 2T4

(506) 386-6269

·
Registered
184 Posts
The conventional wisdom for your first trout rod is to select and 8' to 9' rod using a 5 weight line. Depending on the specific watershed that you will usually be fishing I might suggest slightly modifying that choice. The shops listed above are great if you can get to them.

I would also highly recommend Tom Rosenbauer's (free) podcasts. They cover pretty much every topic in language that the new fly fisher will follow easily. Do a search for "Orvis Fly Fishing Guide podcast". Once you decide on a rod there are a thousand questions about lines, leaders, flies, casting, etc. The podcasts will give you about 5 years worth of knowledge in a couple of hours of listening.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I second the recommendation for the Orvis podcast. So much good information on there.

For a rod/reel that won;'t break the bank, I would suggest a St. Croix Imperial or Ross Essence in 8'6" or 9' in a 4-weight or 5-weight, paired with a Lamson Konic and a trout taper line from Scientific Anglers, Rio, AirFlo or Cortland.

Buy yourself some trout leaders, too. Don't concern yourself with making your own leaders (yet); the knotless tapered leaders will do just fine. Get a bunch, because you're gonna go through them a good amount when just starting out. I suggest getting a couple of what they call 2x, 3x, and 4x. Those indicate the thickness of the tippet at the end of the leader, Rule of thumb is multiply the tippet size by 3 to get the apprpriate-sized fly on your line, eg., size 12 fly = 4x leader/tippet.

Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
PS - and support your local fly shop; there's a bunch of them in NB, just ask where if you need to.

I haven't ever had the online store at BassPro or Cabela's ask me how a rod felt in my hand or tell me what's a hot fly to use in NB...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Better late than never.... you may never pick up your spinning outfit again after you catch your first one on a fly rod.
All good advice above... 5 weight is the standard general purpose rod and a great starting point, your rod will be the most important piece of gear for smaller fish, reel for smaller fish is basically just to store line. I would recommend spending the majority of your money on the rod, pick up a used high end one. Most guys that buy high end rods take care of them so they will be in good shape and well maintained. The reason I say buy a higher end is they are more forgiving and will make learning to cast easier and more enjoyable. Trying to learn to cast on a rod with not much backbone could frustrate you and turn you off this great form of our sport. A couple hundred spent on a used higher end rod is going to be money better spent than a couple hundred on a new not so great rod. Once you decide if flyfishing is for you then buy new. Whatever you decide, welcome to flyfishing and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!

And remember....catch and release ensures a fishery for now and the future.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I still pick up the spin rod in April. Good advice all around. If your intention is to fish salmon in lage rivers than start with a 9'0 or longer 6+wt. And you can still use it in smaller steams- it's tougher visa versa.
You'll get lots of advice on knot tying and flies around here.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great advice! I am in the Riverview area so I will check out the Eskape Anglers shop and kijiji too. I am really excited to try this out. I bet hooking bass is a blast when flyfishing

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mike, smallies are my favourite fish to chase on the fly rod in NB. They fight like green demons when hooked. If you're chasing smallies a lot, you might want to consider grabbing a 6-wt so you can cast some of the bigger/heavier/bulkier bass flies out there with less difficulty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mike,

I would suggest a 9 ft 6 wt Temple Fork rod with a pflueger medalist reel with cortland line.Really good quality that will not break the bank. This rod is very versitile. You can fish trout, salmon, bass, etc. I just picked one up, a second to my 9ft 9 wt for trout and ocassionally for salmon too. BEWARE!! there are fly shops in NB who overprice their gear. I would suggest stopping in to Syd Matchetts Trout Brook Fly Shop on the Nor'west Miramichi. I bought a rod at his shop that was 100$ less than a shop in Fredericton. The line was 20-30$ more too. So the same set-up would cost you 150 more. It pays to shop around.

Welcome to the best sport on earth!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I only have a 8 weight line on my reel i use it for salmon fishing in large water and brook fishing too, would that be the answer why I seem to be having trouble catching trout in a brook? lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts