New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else flyakfish on here? (flyfishing from a kayak) I've come accross people who have THOUGHT about it, but they figure flyfishing is hard enough as it is, that they don't even want to attempt it from a kayak. True, flyfishing is an art to be learned, and though it does have its own set of challenges from a kayak, flyakfishing is my technique of choice.
One of the first things people worry about is getting tangled easily. The general rule for flyakfishing is, if it CAN get tangled on something, it WILL get tangled on something. The trick is to have as little on your yak as possible for your fly line to get snagged on. When I have my flyrod out, I leave the fishfinder, the gps, and the net that would normally stand upright in one of my milk crate rod supporters at home. I've come accross people who try it with SIK's, and claim it works great for holding your stripped line inside with you, preventing snags. I use a SOT myself, and as long as I keep potential snaggable objects to a minimum, I have few problems if any.

I find that while flyfishing from my kayak, I do not need as long a cast as I would from shore, so that's a plus for the skeptically curious. A 20' cast is a long cast from a kayak, as one doesn't need to throw 60' of line since you merely need to drift or paddle to your target fish stealthily. More often then not, I catch nice sized trout within ten feet of my yak!
The only thing I would caution you is if you plan on attempting this in a river with currant, be aware that if there is any wind at all, your kayak will not drift at the same speed as your fly on the water, causing you line tension problems. If this occurs and you are like me, you will find yourself frustrated at having to strip the line while attempting to regulate your speed with the extra set of hands that you don't have. What works well is a drift anchor, causing your kayak to drift slower then your fly, keeping the slak line away.

As many of you can attest, flyfishing is more hunting then fishing, as you are constantly seeking and then stalking your prey, as opposed to blind casting or bait fishing, where you wait for fish to come to you. In this respect, "flyakfishing" makes perfect sense!

Stroover

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use my sit-in for fly fishing on the Nashwaak all the time. Great way to hunt for big bass when the water's low. Tried it during the trout run but the river's usually too high and fast. Learned quickly that you can't anchor a yak in a fast flow without sinking the end and risking swamping out. I think my next yak will be a larger sit-on fishing model, but may also keep my 11 1/2 ft for back waters and beaver ponds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great post ! I fish from my canoe ,not really in preference over a kayak but just simply because ive got one! I love the simplicity of it especially for bass and pike fishing. The smaller lakes are generally fishable as soon as youve pushed out from shore so why have the constant drone of an outboard?.IMO For tackle ,longer the better a 9 foot and up with a weight fwd line will help get the line especially as you want to fish the fly to within inches of the boat

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use my sit-in for fly fishing on the Nashwaak all the time. Great way to hunt for big bass when the water's low. Tried it during the trout run but the river's usually too high and fast. Learned quickly that you can't anchor a yak in a fast flow without sinking the end and risking swamping out. I think my next yak will be a larger sit-on fishing model, but may also keep my 11 1/2 ft for back waters and beaver ponds.
WellHooked, have you thought about using an anchor trolley on your kayak? It keeps you stramlined with the current, preventing swamping.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stoover - I've read posts about trolly systems and would like to see one. I'll definitely make the next yak fishing tourney since it seems like a great opportunity to learn a few new things. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stoover - I've read posts about trolly systems and would like to see one. I'll definitely make the next yak fishing tourney since it seems like a great opportunity to learn a few new things. Thanks for the suggestion.
You can google it and will find lots on it (that's what I had done). You can also look up John Oast "Toast" on youtube, as he has lots of informative videos on kayak fishing rigging.

Also, we will be organizing two tournaments next year: one on the Hammond River again, plus another one in the Fredericton area (still in the planning stage, more info to come). I hope to see you at one or both!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well Hooked... good to know. I'll probably be in touch once we have something real. Feel free to give me a PM if you have any thoughts on the possibility.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yup, as you may have guessed, i fly fish from my kayak and have for about 50 years now. i would suggest that you buddy up for the first few times fly fishing from a yak, just so there is somebody to help out if, like me, you start the conversation with " could you help me get this fly out of my neck? pleeease!" lol, yup, it happened a couple times and once in the ear too. mostly because i was stuborn and just had to fly fish from the yak in the wind. as str00ver mentioned, the wind is not a good thing when fly fishing in a yak. it doesn't mind trolling streamers though, and for the rest, try calm days or the calm of the day. frankly, if you need an anchor, you probabaley shouldn't be fly fishin' from the yak, but bottom bouncing a pop bottle weight isn't to crazy a solution(2-3 lt bottle with holes, the bottom third filled with pebbles - costs almost nothing, so no big lose if you have to cut it, and it bounces easily, rarely getting caught up).

i find they realy strike much closer to the yak than you would expect, and i've had a ball doing it, from artic char to specks to land lochs to smallies and more Flyakfishing can be fun!

ps: if you bump into that little fly problem, like i did with nobody nearby to help out, don't panic, just snip off the line and save it for when you get home...and the mirror! lol, good fishin'!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts