New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm an avid fly fly fisherman and am looking to get into tying flies as a hobby. My girlfriend actually got me a bunch of hair and feathers for my birthday. Just missing all the hardware now! Wondering a good place to order online? Would be lookig for a vise that is not too expensive but not something I will want to replace in a couple months because it is too cheap. I guess some sort of kit would be best? A friend of mine got into it this year as well and made a fly out of my Golden Retriever's hair. We named it the Irish Retriever (It retrieves salmon!)

Thanks alot! Hoping to order something ASAP so I can start and make my Salmon FEVER worse!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a kit. Buy your tools individually. A lot of kits are very general in nature and carry a lot of stuff you are paying for, but may never use, and the tools are gernerally not the best quality. Buy the best tools you can afford, particularly scissors, bobbins, hackle pliers.

You may want to do some research into tools, etc before you actually buy anything. You can get a basic decent quality vise for not much money as a starter.
Lots of people never buy another one, or tie on it for 20 years until they decide to upgrade to one offering more features. I did.

Join a fly tying bulletin board; see below. Follow the threads in Beginners and Fly Tying Bench sections and you will get lots of direction where to purchase online and also discussions re tools, equipment, vises, etc.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/

Since you don't indicate where you are from,it's hard to suggest a local shop to try. The best place to buy is at a local shop, I think. That way, you can see what you are buying, in terms of material, etc. Buying online is somewhat sight unseen. The same can be said of mail order and catalogue buying. Pictures on pages or monitors may show the goods, but the actual sizes, quality and other properties can only be experienced firsthand. It's also hard to get advise and recommendations from a catalogue. You can always find some stuff online cheaper than at the local shop. That being said, please remember that the local guy has to make some money to stay in business, and the profits he might make on a vise or rod or reel, helps keep him in business, where you can regularly get your materials at a better price, or get the occasional special deal if you are a somewhat regular customer.

Sometimes the local shop may not carry what you are looking for, for want you want to do.

For example, you may wish to try Pike and Musky Flies. You may have to buy some of the material online because your local shop carries material maily for trout and salmon flies, and not some of the things they might consider would not sell in their trade area. That's where online shooping fills the bill.

Here's some local shops in NB that I know of, have visited and bought stuff from at reasonable prices:

If you are in the Moncton area I would suggest Eskape Anglers in Riverview, or Riptide Tackle Shop in Amherst, NS.
If you are in the Miramichi area, I would suggest Syd Matchett's shop in Trout Brook, or Routledge's in Renous.
Also Curtis' in Blackville.
I'm not sure about Saint John since Warren Duncan passed away; perhaps Doiron's in the McAllister Mall, or the mall across the road from it.

There is a shop in the Marystown area of Fredericton run by Chris Munn( I think that's his name): something Outfitters. I can't recall the proper name.

There are lots of shops around, some run as full time businesses; and some are part time in basements or garages. Lots of them offer good material and services. I apologize now for any I've not mentioned or have forgotten. Just ask around; you'll find them.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Don Gallagher (Bass Tackle Plus)in Saint John has some tying materials and gear, he can also order in anything from a $20 vise to $500 vise just let heim know what it is you want, same with materials.

One thing I would reccomend is get ceramic bobbins, not the steel ones and Morfrsot is right, buy the best you can afford.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you are in the Moncton area on the 26th and 27th of March attend the Dieppe Fly Fishing Forum at NBCC Dieppe and there will be lots of retailers there and some great details to be had.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't rule out the Canadian Tire in Oromocto. They have a very good selection. Rumour has it the owner is a tyer.....they have an partial aisle full of tying gear and materials. And the cheap crap you would expect....just saying. I haven't been to F'ton OUtfitters since he has received his tying materials & gear. I would assume it would be of good quality as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts