New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking to start tying fly during winter season for fun. I'd like to know where do I start?

Note: I'd like to focus on bombers only for now, so I don't know if I should go with a full kit or perhaps buying everything separately?

I also want something good, like I want some very good quality tool and no crappy cheap stuff that make you swear for nothing

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm thinking to start tying fly during winter season for fun. I'd like to know where do I start?

Note: I'd like to focus on bombers only for now, so I don't know if I should go with a full kit or perhaps buying everything separately?

I also want something good, like I want some very good quality tool and no crappy cheap stuff that make you swear for nothing

Any suggestions?
Buy seperately, that way you can get the things you need and like. Make sure your bobbins are good quality or the will end up breaking your threads off while wrapping, check them before you buy them, make sure there are no nicks in the tube tip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I started off with a really cheap WalMart beginners kit. It had a really easy to follow book that teaches you some basic patterns and came with all the materials and tools to get you started.
Watched some YouTube videos to get the whip finish down and joined a fly tying club. It's a lot of fun!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bombers are pretty easy, messy, but easy. If you want really good tools, they're going to cost you but buy everything seperately.
I still use my cheap little vise, mostly for convenience.
Check out WW Doaks website and have a look. They have a pretty good selection, prices and shipping aren't too bad and they will answer any questions you have too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
After going through several cheap bobbin tools, I bought one with a ceramic tube instead of metal, no more problems with nicking the thread.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Any suggestions?
go see Byrant at eskape anglers he will set you up with what you need

·
Registered
113 Posts
This club is for what? For training/lessons or fly swap?
The Dieppe Fly Tying Club is for people who tie fishing flies, or want to learn to do this. Meetings are Tuesday evening, 6:30-8:00 P.M. starting after the normal fisahing season finishes and ends in early April, as the Fishing season is starting.

Meetings are at the old Lakeburn School, on Therrien St in Dieppe. This on the road to the old airport terninal.

If you don't know anything about fly tying, someone will " adopt" you for the evening, or several evenings, until you can go it alone. We have a spare kit of tools for you to use when you're at the club, if you don't have any. Advice is free, and freely given.

The aims of the club are to advance the sport of fly fishing through fly tying, and promote this sport to women and our youth. We run a fly fishing Forum weekend in March, with a trade show and speakers on different aspects related to fly fishing. Monies raised from these shows are donated to groups working to conserve and improve fish habitat and conduct research, such as the MSA, Nepisiguit River Association, Hammond River Association to name a few.

There is no cost for membership, save and except that members are expected to work at the show and sell tickets for the Forum.

The club also has an annual outing. This past spring we went to the Miramichi Salmon Museum. In the past we have provided fly casting instruction clinics for our members using instructors from the Atlantic Fly Fishing School.

Please feel free to come to a meeting this fall.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Dieppe Fly Tying Club is for people who tie fishing flies, or want to learn to do this. Meetings are Tuesday evening, 6:30-8:00 P.M. starting after the normal fisahing season finishes and ends in early April, as the Fishing season is starting.

Meetings are at the old Lakeburn School, on Therrien St in Dieppe. This on the road to the old airport terninal.

If you don't know anything about fly tying, someone will " adopt" you for the evening, or several evenings, until you can go it alone. We have a spare kit of tools for you to use when you're at the club, if you don't have any. Advice is free, and freely given.

The aims of the club are to advance the sport of fly fishing through fly tying, and promote this sport to women and our youth. We run a fly fishing Forum weekend in March, with a trade show and speakers on different aspects related to fly fishing. Monies raised from these shows are donated to groups working to conserve and improve fish habitat and conduct research, such as the MSA, Nepisiguit River Association, Hammond River Association to name a few.

There is no cost for membership, save and except that members are expected to work at the show and sell tickets for the Forum.

The club also has an annual outing. This past spring we went to the Miramichi Salmon Museum. In the past we have provided fly casting instruction clinics for our members using instructors from the Atlantic Fly Fishing School.

Please feel free to come to a meeting this fall.
I see, thanks for the info! Are you the organizer or president of this club?

I know that Jacques H is usually involve into these things, but I am not sure if he is still involved or not. I have sent him an email earlier this morning as well for some suggestions since I know him pretty good...

How much it is to be a member of the club?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
btw guys!! I received my Fly Tying kit last weekend. I bought everything from salmosalar (Jacques) since I wanted to do bombers/bugs only for this winter. Once I am fully comfortable with this I will probably start doing a few wet fly and some trouts flies.

But for now, I just want a collection of different bombers (like body color, hackle, and wings etc...)

I tied 4 bombers so far, the good new thing is the last one is much better compare to the 1st and 2nd LOL... much harder than expected but alot of fun if you are doing it when the time is right.
... (probably because I started with something a bit complex for a beginner right from the start) I still have a whole LOT to learn but I should have a nice sets of bombers for next season, I hope!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts