New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few and i were looking to take some lessons or a coarse. but cant seem to find any. any advice or know of where to find one? thanks in advance

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are several instructional sources for fly tying on the internet. There are lots of Utube videos.

I would recommend the series " Fly Tying- The Angler's Art" put out by KWSU (Public Television) in the US.

The specific ISP address is : http:// KWSU.org/FlyTying.aspx

This series is hosted by Leroy Hyatt and Carolyn Seles, and is a video of their weekly television programs on KWSU. Each vidoe is approx 1/2 hour and usually covers two or three flies. You can download these videos to your computer and then play them at your convenience. The instruction is good and the hosts explain the various steps required in good detail. From time to time they have guests, such as Dave Whitlock. The late Dave Engerbretson also also a host for some of the earlier shows.

Hope this helps. It's not as good as face to face instruction, but they are good quality programmes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
a few and i were looking to take some lessons or a coarse. but cant seem to find any. any advice or know of where to find one? thanks in advance
I am in the process of looking for some experienced tyers to be willing to teach a few newbies. I have a place that is public but private. I have contacted a few already and got some maybe's. I get alot of join the Dieppe fly tying club !! But I'd rather get the basics 1st. That being said I will let you know how it pans out. And nothing against the club mentioned just the great response I hear from them as far as tying is kinda like stepping into quarryville 1st salmon quest. ! I'd rather get the basics 1st. I will keep you posted in this thread

·
Registered
35 Posts
Riverrunner, I'm not that far away from you just down here in Boundary Creek. I was speaking with Bryant Freeman recently and we talked about getting something going. I've been a focused trout fly tyer for almost 27yrs I'd be ahppy to show you some basics. Are you interested in salmon or trout or both?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in the process of looking for some experienced tyers to be willing to teach a few newbies. I have a place that is public but private. I have contacted a few already and got some maybe's. I get alot of join the Dieppe fly tying club !! But I'd rather get the basics 1st. That being said I will let you know how it pans out. And nothing against the club mentioned just the great response I hear from them as far as tying is kinda like stepping into quarryville 1st salmon quest. ! I'd rather get the basics 1st. I will keep you posted in this thread
I'd be in it for the trout side of things that is as an experienced fly tyer....let me know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much we are very interested please keep me posted.

rr

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riverrunner, I'm not that far away from you just down here in Boundary Creek. I was speaking with Bryant Freeman recently and we talked about getting something going. I've been a focused trout fly tyer for almost 27yrs I'd be ahppy to show you some basics. Are you interested in salmon or trout or both?
I am currently working nights from mon- thurs ... and this would be a great thing to start up in the winter... thank you for the opportunity and I am intersted in tying both salmon and trout flies .
rr

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am currently working nights from mon- thurs ... and this would be a great thing to start up in the winter... thank you for the opportunity and I am intersted in tying both salmon and trout flies .
rr
Things are starting too look good I recieved an email from another site member that is willing to teach. I will be contacting him and seeing what we can come up with. I was thinking along the lines of a winter project as well. The place I have is at the Moncton 4 plex in one of the board rooms I think it's an ideal place to meet and the fact that there is a bar & restaurant if anyone wanted to make an evening outta this. Once I get in touch with the said site member I will post a thread on here with more info and dates. I would like too see how many would be interested in doing this so that I have an idea of the number of people would be attending, so put the word out and tell them to post on here if there is an interest. Cheers !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts