New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What books would you recommend to a fellow just starting out. I think I am gonna get a book than a vise and then my tools and supplies. Right now I am mainly concerned with trout flies and hope to specialize with nymphs after I learn a little. I was look at the fly tying bible along with the Orvis fly tying book. Any recommendations.

Also I was looking at getting the Griffin Odyssey Spider vise but I am thinking I might not need to go so extravagant. I am thinking this might get pricey but once I have it I don't need to get it again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What books would you recommend to a fellow just starting out. I think I am gonna get a book than a vise and then my tools and supplies. Right now I am mainly concerned with trout flies and hope to specialize with nymphs after I learn a little. I was look at the fly tying bible along with the Orvis fly tying book. Any recommendations.

Also I was looking at getting the Griffin Odyssey Spider vise but I am thinking I might not need to go so extravagant. I am thinking this might get pricey but once I have it I don't need to get it again.
I pretty much followed all my lessons via YouTube ... here a the beginner lessons from Dave Cammiss

After..I searched for the manual whip knot finisher
and so long, search for a specific fly on youtube they might have it there and show you how to do it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
[quote name='Dragon' date='02 September 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1283463941' post='3451']

Dragon! ...... who fishes nymphs anyway??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey SmellDaddy.

Whats going on? Glad you could join our forum. I fish the nymphs.

Anyway I need some info on what books to think about getting. Gonna order them and get rdy to start tying in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would have to say a great book to have is "Dave Whitlock's Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods", not only should it help you with tying, but with presentation, reasoning what fly to use when and how and why. Great book, highly recomend it to anyone flyfishing, not just tyers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Universal fly tying guide. Pretty good one starting out. Basic techniques and a bunch of patterns. Readily available. Some good ones with just patterns are Flys for Trout, Flys for Salmon and Steelhead,Flys for Bass and Panfish,Saltwater flys. All by **** Stewart. You should be able to find a good course over the winter. Lots of talent in the maritimes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heres a few that i can reccomend based on this discussion and are time tested best sellers

The fly tyers Bench side reference- Ted leeson and jim Schollmeyer
Nymph fly-tying techniques - jim Schollmeyer
Fly tying made clear and Simple 2 - Skip Morris
Tying & fishing soft hackled nymphs - Allen Mcgee
Flies the best on thousand - Randle Scott Stetzer

·
Registered
298 Posts
Universal fly tying guide. Pretty good one starting out. Basic techniques and a bunch of patterns. Readily available. Some good ones with just patterns are Flys for Trout, Flys for Salmon and Steelhead,Flys for Bass and Panfish,Saltwater flys. All by **** Stewart. You should be able to find a good course over the winter. Lots of talent in the maritimes.
those books are great books by Mr. Stewart ( D ick ) is the 1st name. How ever the salmon and steelhead book is very rare same as the trout one Farrow Allen was the co author. I believe these books are not printed anymore. looking at $50.00 range to buy a used one, how ever if you want some serious books for a higher price here is a link to some of the best books http://www.salmonflies.com/books.htm And yes finding a fly tying club to join is the most resourceful way to learn .. all I suggest is what you learn pass it on to the youger generation noting any better then creating something with your own hands and seeing the results it's a feeling that will never go away all most addictive

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just about any book would do, as long as it shows you the basics. My first purchased booklet was the Universal Fly tying Guide, put out by Universal Thread Company purchased close to 40 years ago. I still have it. I think it cost me $6.00 new. Good used books may be the place to start. Fly Tying by Helen Shaw is an excellent book that covers most of the major fly types. Lots of large photos that illustrate the tying steps, etc. Fling & Putergaugh have had a good book out for several years but I forget the title. **** Stewart's Fly tying Guide is good too. Check out eBay. Should be able to get one for about much less than the cost of a new book delivered to your door. Chapters, Indige have fly tying books remaiondered at low cost from time to time. Sometimes you can find a good one there cheap.

Next,I suggest you go to your local library and check out the Fishing Section. Most libraries will have Fly Fishing and Tying books. If thety don't they can help you access the Provincial Library system. These books can be borrowed for 3 weeks at no cost. If you find some interesting masterial, photocopy it. This is now legal, as long as it is for your personal use. Start a binder. Keep this in it, and add to it. Print stuff off of the net; patterns, recipes, articles, save 'em in your binder. Buy a box of plastic sheet protectors to keep the copies in mint condition and you're good to go.

Many new fly tying books are $30.-$50. + these days. I think your needs might best be served by buying a good vise, materials and tools, than spend big bucks on new books right now. Buying books are better investments after you have some knowledge of the basics and have a better feel for the types of fish you wish to tie flies for.

A previous post suggested you You Tube video posts. They're good and there's lots to choose from. Sometimes that's part of the problem. Unless you have some experience, it's easy to watch stuff that can overload a beginner.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts