New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Black salmon

1. homemade pattern called the killifish (orange, olive and crystal flash and a few other details)
2. another homemade smelt pattern bright blue, white gold and a touch of red
3. Mickey fin
4. Black ghost
5. Magog smelt

early sea run trout
1. belly dancer size 10
2. black wolly worm
3.modified muddler minnow with two red hackle tips and red tail
4. black knat dry fly, white tail and white upright wings
5. when all else fails an orange goblin(another homemade pattern, some on here have one from a salmon fly swap last season) downsized 10-12 streamer hook, some days they won`t touch it other days it barely hits the water and they inhale it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice selection! you make the orange goblin sound like a must, any pics so that i could try copying it?

·
Registered
438 Posts
nice selection! you make the orange goblin sound like a must, any pics so that i could try copying it?
Ill post a pic in a few here is the pattern:
hook - upturned eye salmon streamer hook, what ever size you would like, i like 10-12 for trout
thread: black
body- pearl chennile
hackle - orange wet fly, tied in long and slanted back to almost touch the tip of the hook
wings- 2 badger hackles
tail- lots of orange hackle fibers for a long thick tail
I have a feeling it would also work well as a late season salmon fly but havnt had much chance to try it then, i have hooked a few blacks on it on real big versions in the spring also

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
belly dancer, is that a green machine varation? lime green strip on the belly? Tried looking it up on the net and thats all i can find!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its a christmas tree tube with a rabbit strip for the top wing under the marabou. I just reversed the colors(green on top instead of yellow). Has a silver mylar body like on the original. Silver flash on top and some eyes. I have some other variations of it as well. About 3" long give or take a bit. Tie some up. I bet it outfishes any other fly tied on an iron. Did for me lastyear, no joke. Hopefully it works just as well this year. Ill post a few others if ya want to see. Basically the same ,just a little twist here and there. The color is the key i think.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its a christmas tree tube with a rabbit strip for the top wing under the marabou. I just reversed the colors(green on top instead of yellow). Has a silver mylar body like on the original. Silver flash on top and some eyes. I have some other variations of it as well. About 3" long give or take a bit. Tie some up. I bet it outfishes any other fly tied on an iron. Did for me lastyear, no joke. Hopefully it works just as well this year. Ill post a few others if ya want to see. Basically the same ,just a little twist here and there. The color is the key i think.
awsome. I'll be targeting spring salmon for the first time ever this season, so im trying to find patterns that work. Idid tie up a few green maraboo's last fall and did very well on the cains. Any input helps, thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Here is my homemade pattern, the killifish, it was by far my most productive fly last year, also a great fly for smallies and pickerel, has caught the odd trout as well..

Hook- 4 9x long streamer (one in picture is tied on a size 4 salmon streamer, but i like the longer bulkier fly really early in the season)
tail- banded woodduck flank
underbody- oval tinsel or wire, or anytinhg for weight and to bulk up the body
body- olive green floss
rib- silver oval tinsel
underwing- yellow bucktail, tied long extending past bend of the hook
wing- pearl crystal flash, same length as bucktail
gills- orange hackle tips

variation-- orange grizzly hackle for gills and maroon nail polish on the head

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
for black salmon:

xmas tree variations
mickey fin
red eagle & gold eagle
renous special
grey and black ghost

·
Registered
85 Posts
For Trout:
1) Pheasant Tail Nymph (normal, beaded and flashback versions)
2) Copper John ( red, normal, brown, and zebra versions with and without rubber legs)
3) Egg patterns to mimic trout, gasperaux, smelt spawn and trout/salmon
4) Zebra Midge (with different beads and colored wire ribbing)
5) A homemade fly my cousin came up with that looks like a callibaetis nymph with rubber legs in black and brown.

Not really in order but those are must have flys year round.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My favorite top 5 trout flies in various sizes.

1-Mickey finn wet and dry
2-Orange crate streamer
3-Adams Bomber
4-White bomber with orange hackle
5-Adams

Salmon -various sizes

1-Green butt bear tail
2-Orange buc bug
3-Mickey finn
4-Royal wulf
5-Bald Eagle Bomber

Happy Fishin