New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to fly fishing. I'm trying to get suggestions on what weight rod I should be looking at, based upon the common NB sport fish.

I plan on fishing trout and bass from river banks and lakes using my boat. Honestly, I don't see myself getting several rods, so I'm looking for something as versatile as possible.

Is a medium-weight 9-foot 6wt appropriate? Too much rod? Not enough?

Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If I were looking for a trout rod that could be used for larger bass flies, I would choose a 6 wt over a 5. If I were only buying one rod for some trout fishing while wading and also for use from a boat, I would lean toward an 8 foot rod instead of a 9 foot. The 9 foot gets a bit awkward in tight brooks with lots of trees and a shorter rod is much easier to work with in a boat when trying to net or grab a fish. So my vote is a mid priced 8 foot for 6 weight line.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm with Twinfan on this one; bass flies, being surface or subsurface, are meaty. I think a 6wt would be a much better bet than a 5wt. The 6wt won't overdo it for trout flies, & will be more than capable for casting salmon flies for grilse, too.

I do my smallie fishing with a 7'10" 6wt for subsurface stuff & 7'6" glass 7/8wt for big, air-resistant poppers & the like.

I said it a couple days ago in the salmon forum: buy the rod for the flies you want to cast, not the fish you might catch

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes I'd also recommend the six weight; I started my son out with a medium-fast Redington Crosswater 9' six weight and he picked up the casting very well. He's had up to 10lb fish on it (salmon) with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another option would be to get a reel with multiple spoons and differnt weight lines depending on what you using for flies. Most rods are able to be used for multi weight like 3-4 5-6 6-7 etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts