New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

well i just baught myself a new fly reel, and was looking for input on fly line.

what do you like and why ?

·
Registered
576 Posts
i use cortland double taper weight forward generally.. also have a intermediate sink tip for deeper and faster waters ( if needed ). I have some friends that use scientific angler fly line and they like it and it doesn't cost as much as cortland.

what weight of rod you using? I'm sure you know you need to match the weight of fly line to the fly rod and generally you can go up or down one weight of fly line for the weight specified on the rod.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i use cortland double taper weight forward generally.. also have a intermediate sink tip for deeper and faster waters ( if needed ). I have some friends that use scientific angler fly line and they like it and it doesn't cost as much as cortland.

what weight of rod you using? I'm sure you know you need to match the weight of fly line to the fly rod and generally you can go up or down one weight of fly line for the weight specified on the rod.
ohh yeah i am aware, just havent really paid much attention to line in the past! Not sure of the advantages , if any !

·
Registered
576 Posts
I should have mentioned that I generally use a "floating" double taper weight forward line, sink tip not so often, only when fishing salmon. The double taper allows you to get more usage, when one end is wore out or you've cut off to much from that end, you can take it off the reel and put it on the other way, allowing you to use the other new end for casting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have mentioned that I generally use a "floating" double taper weight forward line, sink tip not so often, only when fishing salmon. The double taper allows you to get more usage, when one end is wore out or you've cut off to much from that end, you can take it off the reel and put it on the other way, allowing you to use the other new end for casting.
i was aware, but the only time i fished sinking line was spring fishing for salmon, you also use sink tip during the summer runs?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I picked up a reel at the dieppe flyfishing forum this spring, it comes with a removable spool on the reel, and 3 spare spools... can't wait to load them up with different types of line, will be ready for most any water condition or flyfishing style (wet or dry). got a good price too, I think anyway... 120 bucks taxes in. also has a carrying case for them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very nice, i just ordered a sage 4500. . not cheap but ive wanted one for quite a while now so decided to treat myself!

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I picked up some Rio that was on sale for $59 at the Dieppe Flyfishing Forum and started casting it last week. I like it a lot!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been fly fishing for 25 years and last time I checked a double taper fly line is not weight forward. It means the taper at the front is the same as at the back of the fly line. Whereas weight forward (WF) means the taper at the front is beefy compared to at the back of the fly line. Unless something has changed recently weight forward fly line has a different taper then double taper.

I've tried lots of fly lines. The Rio I used had a monofilament core. Casted good and I still have it. The AirFlo lines I've used are also very good but generally stiff compared to other lines like Cortland which I find is like a bungee cord. I've used Scientific Anglers and liked it also. I mostly use AirFlow and have 3 reels with those lines.

I'm also in the market for another fly line. I've been debating on what to buy. I know I've heard lots of mixed feelings about the Shark Skin ones out there. I may stay away from those for the high price they have.

I don't like the multiple tip fly lines. They are pricy and you can do the same effect with weighted braided leaders from AirFlo. They come in floating all the way down to Super Fast sink. No need for sink tip lines after May. The floating fly line will make it easier to pick up off the water and the sinking leaders if so desired can be casted much easier then the weighted tip lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts