New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys/gals have a preference when tying your fly knots for salmon? I am always looking to save time on the river but I do not want to compromise the strength of my knot. I mostly use the clinch knot or the improved clinch knot. I have been looking on many websites for variety.

·
Registered
576 Posts
for attaching leader material to my fly.. i started using the duncan loop last year... works great, landed some big fish using it, no knot failures.. like any knot you tie with fishing line, make sure you wet it before putting it tight to ensure there is no slippage. attached a link to the video for tying the loop, do it a half dozen times, it's really easy to do.. it also allows the fly to swing losely on your leader allowing better fly movement during the drift.

http://videofishingknots.com/duncans-loop.html

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i always wondered what the name of that loop knot was. thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
i always wondered what the name of that loop knot was. thanks!
ur welcome!

just a tip when tying this loop knot.. when you wet the knot before cinching it tight, pull the tag end.. that will allow you to adjust the loop to the size you want.. if you don't adjust, it will leave a big loop and sometimes your fly will get caught in it.. i like the loop to be about 3/8 of an inch long when stretched out..they fly gets good movement and pretty much all salmon flies won't get snagged in the loop.. you can adjust the loop smaller for trout flies if needed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chadman. I will try that knot. I have been practicing (watching videos) the Turle knot this past week but for some odd reason I can't get it right.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do not use a regular clinch knot. I had to learn that the hard way.
That knot always seems to slip when I have a big fish on. Use something stronger like the improved clinch knot or the palomar knot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts