New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a "New Brunswick" question, but figured I'd ask the folks here anyway. In early/mid June I'm going on a fly in fishing trip with Labrador Air Safari. There are some monster lakers in here in the 40+ lbs range. I'm wondering if anybody on here has any experience fishing for early season lakers above the 52nd parallel. I'm hoping to do some trolling with fly gear (sinking lines, leaders, and big spring patterns). I'd like to hear from anybody who has some useful tips or info that help me out.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
if it`s fly fishing only waters i don`t think they let you use the sinking line there, so i would check that out before you go. most of the lake trout fishing i know of up in the north was on spoons from down riggers or on orange (or brown) bunny flies again from down riggers. big spring patterns sounds like a good idea to me. i wish i could help you out more but you will have to tell us how you did so we can answer the next person...lol
i hope you hook into a 40+!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ipop. Sinking lines are definitely allowed. There are six of us going. We fly out of Baie-Comeau on a Sunday morning and are picked up on the following Saturday. No guides, no cooks, just us, a few boats, a cook house and bunk house. We have to take our own food and supplies. About as wild as it gets. A two hour float plane ride into the middle of nowhere!!! I can't wait! Some huge Pike and Brookies in here too!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i have fished the labradour hwy in quebec. the other guy landed all the pike from big water while i took a few great brookies from the smaller rivers. it`s good to hear that you can use the sinking line there, i landed a lot of fish last year using sinking line in places they don`t expect it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My dad and I were in northern Quebec last summer for 2 weeks. We didn't do any fishing for lakers, but we got a few on a big spoon (5 of diamonds, big mepps syclops) trolling with spinning gear. If its anything like the time we were there, the pike will eat anything shiney on spinning gear all day long in small shallow coves; big mouse patterned flys as well. Bring alot of lures if you plan on targeting pike. Shallow coves with rocks and logs+ big heavy lures + big toothy fish = money on the bottom, but the action is worth it. If you try some brookies, big muddler minnows worked real well for us. I've seen the mouse pattern work for monster brookies in Labrador.

Good luck, have fun, andkeep us informed........im super jelous!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll keep everybody posted. I've been collecting gear my whole life, but the past two years have been nothing but Salmon fishing for me. So I went on a spending spree the past little while and have everything I could ever need now. I really want to use the fly gear as much as possible, but I'm covered on the spinning gear/baitcasting side as well.

I've been really excited for this trip of a lifetime! I'm going with my father, two uncles and two others I would consider as close as family. We booked about a year ago and thought it would never come, but it's getting really close now.

I've fished with guides and have always had a great time, but I'm excited to be flown into the great wilderness, dropped off and left to fend for ourselves. Just something about the remoteness of it all that really excites me.

You guys should check out the web site www.labrador-airsafari.com. Some great pics. We are heading into lac Noacocagne (Lake Artingy on google maps). Check it out, it's the middle of nowhere!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fished with Labrador Air Safari 2 summers ago. You nailed it when you said trip of a lifetime! We only fished for brookies!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob, what lake did you fish with them? How was the service and the flight? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Bill Gass, prices are great for the quality of fishing. Keeping the guides, fancy lodges, cooks and food out of the equation really keeps the price down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We fished Berte Lake and we were early but still caught about 400 brookies. Biggest brookie was 19 inches.
Flight was good. First time I had been on a bush plane. Service was awesome. The previous group had broke a prop (motor was still operational) and the pilot reported back to base. They flew a new prop in the next day. Definitely crossed off the bucket list!
I fly fished most of the time but had my spinning gear for trolling (bring recommended tackle/flies from website). Fish finder was definitely beneficial...highly recommended!
Make sure you stick to your weight limit. We lucked out as the group before us had left over beer which we bought....doubled our beer inventory for the trip!!
Camp was good & dry. You were roughing it but still had warm water for a shower. Lots of flies when on shore but was ok when on the water. We only had one rainy/windy day but we still fished.
Next time I would like to go further north to fish for lakers and pike.

What lake are you going to?
pm me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My gang seriously considered this trip for this spring, but in the end decided to take a pass until next year.
Now I'm SERIOUSLY regretting our decision!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Rob! We are hitting Lac Noacocane (Lac Artingy according to google maps, link below), it's one of their more northern lakes. I may see if I can get my hands on a fish finder to take for the trip, my uncle got a nice new one for Christmas. Just need to be careful what you bring with the weight limit and all. I was surprised in the way that they base their weight limit. 100lbs per person, but no consideration for the weight of the people going. Hell, I know a few of the fellas I'm going with would drop 10 or 20 lbs if it meant they could bring in another case of beer or two.

I've done quite a bit of traveling, been to Peru, India, going to Europe this year, but I've never been so excited for a trip in my life! I plan on using the fly gear as much as possible, but have a whack of spinning gear too. I don't think I'll be able to sleep a wink the week before I go. We know some folks who went into this lake about 10 years ago and they saw Black Bears and a wolf. Fingers crossed that we are that lucky.

How were the boats? Anything that you wish you brought that you didn't? Or anything that you brought that you didn't need? Anything already there that you didn't expect to be there? Really trying to make sure I use my allotted weight the best way possible.

Lobsterman, If you guys are planning on going, I would book ASAP. We kind of lucked out last year when we booked this. They lady was actually shocked that our week was still available. They can get booked years in advance. Did a lot of looking and don't think you will find better fishing or a more remote experience for the $$$.

Here's the google maps link to the lake. It's out there!!!

http://maps.google.c...ac+Artigny&z=11

·
Registered
78 Posts
Boats were surprising good at the camp we were at, very stable! Nothing stood out that we shouldn't have or should have brought. You would be surprised how much 100 lbs can add up to. I brought my fly tying gear but didn't really need it. I brought a GPS and marked the camp....just in case!
Best tasting trout i have ever tasted!! And we ate alot of it when we were there. I typically return 99% of what I catch to the water but I am glad I didn't.
We were marking fish over 100 feet deep. A fish finder is a must...IMHO!

Seriously Lobsterman, book a trip...you won't regret it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tweegle,
I live in Schefferville Quebec, which is directly on the border of Labrador and Quebec, and is about 2-300 km north of Lab City (55th Parallel I think).

Right after ice-out last spring I hooked into 4 lakers from shore. No 40+ monsters though. I think the biggest was a 5 pounder. I hooked them all on the fly too. I was just getting into tying, and I created some big red and blue streamers with lots of tinsel. I painted eyes on them too. It seemed to work for me.

Funny Story:
I was out fishing one evening and two young kids came by with thier bait rod. They literally cast twice and hooked two 6-10 pound lakers( not even 5 minutes of fishing). They almost broke thier rod on the first one, and they did break thier rod on the second one. They were using big spinners (Blue Fox or Pixie somthing I think) with flouresent green or pink egg sacs on the spinner. I ended up buying a bait rod after that.

From my experience up here, if you get up here just after ice-out you can get into great fishing from shore. But the people who have boats up here get into wicked fishing all season.

I don't know the rules for Labrador, but were allowed to use bait gear here. It is mainly lake fishing. The pike fishing is phenomenal; I am going to target them this spring with the fly.

My trip of a lifetime before I move back to NB is to head up to the tip of Quebec and chase the Arctic Char. If your in the right place you can hook 20-30 a day. And I guess they give a hell of a fight.

Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts