New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Personally, I think the weight of the reel relative to the rod becomes much more noticeable on lighter rods (4 wt and under). The problem is that it is tough to tell what will feel right unless you hook it all up and cast a bit of line around. I have never had a feeling that a reel was too light, but I have felt that a couple were noticeably heavy. Based on that entirely subjective and limited experience, I would say get the lightest reel you can find and start from there.

The older style click pawl reels tend to be smallish and of course do not have the drag hardware that you might find in reels like the Trion or the Lamsons. They can often be found used and the small ones can be quite light (Hardy, Redditch, and others). In newer production models, Sage makes the Click series which are very light and the Abel Creek or Trout are light and simple. They are not inexpensive, but depending on which Lamson you are looking at they are in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I fish with a 4 wt St. Croix Imperial 4 piece and use an old Hardy Viscount II with 1 spool of backing and a Cortland SL WF 5 F line. This seems to be a well balanced system. I use the same reel for my 6 ft 5 wt Fenwick fiberglass and my 7 1/2 ft 5 wt Fenwick graphite. Again these rods seem well balanced with the Hardy reel

·
Registered
53 Posts
hardy flyweight you can get online for around $225 and spare spool for another $75 or so...$20 - $30 shipping...get it delivered to your work you wont pay anything but the taxes of the state you bought it...which will as you know be a lot less than our tax.... your great grand kids will be able to use it one day..... they just keep on tickin...or should i say clickin...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Lamson Konic on my 5wt; it costs about $110 or so. It has the same drag system as the higher-end Lamsons; a conical drag system that is pretty strong...

That being said, I've needed my drag on that reel once, on a ~3lb smallie in a fast current. Trout reels are line holders for the most part & I think a lot of people lose sight of that...but if you really want something fancy, you might as well have something that's appealing to the eyes

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use the same reel for fishing brookies as i do for fishing salmon, I got the rod and reel combo at wal mart for 100 bucks lol, I have an 8 foot three piece rod that i bought for 50 bucks at canadian tire and took a steak knife and cut 2 feet off of it for fishing brooks, the only thing that i usually change is my leader.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts