New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Saint John and was wondering where and how to catch some Flounder. Time of year? Bait? Location? Techniques? etc. I hear they are delicious.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i mostly fish the st. george area for flounder, beaver and blacks harbour. i fish it from mid summer on. there are 5 species of flounder in the bay of fundy, so even though they move out to deep water at times, there is almost always some of them around. they like about a 10 foot depth of water. and will move in and out with the tide to stay about that depth. for bait, sea worms, crawlers and power bait all work, as does cut fish and a bunch of other stuff (even cranks!). they are very good bait stealers, so it often becomes a battle of catching them before there is no bait left on your line. so if the bit isn't there or has stopped, check the bait. they also get used to a bait quickly, so if again the bite stops, move some and they will probabaly start biting again. some say to drag a bait rig across a flat for them, and a lot use a hildy rig for this. i mostly just use a flounder rig or make one up with a ball jighead and a split to a snelled hook. the flounder rig has a yellow plastic egg on it so it always looks baited, and i think the ball part of the jig works the same.
take some ice with you - flounder go bad a lot quicker than most fish.
there are yellow tail flounder right in sj harbour and around the falls, but i wouldn't eat them...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i mostly fish the st. george area for flounder, beaver and blacks harbour. i fish it from mid summer on. there are 5 species of flounder in the bay of fundy, so even though they move out to deep water at times, there is almost always some of them around. they like about a 10 foot depth of water. and will move in and out with the tide to stay about that depth. for bait, sea worms, crawlers and power bait all work, as does cut fish and a bunch of other stuff (even cranks!). they are very good bait stealers, so it often becomes a battle of catching them before there is no bait left on your line. so if the bit isn't there or has stopped, check the bait. they also get used to a bait quickly, so if again the bite stops, move some and they will probabaly start biting again. some say to drag a bait rig across a flat for them, and a lot use a hildy rig for this. i mostly just use a flounder rig or make one up with a ball jighead and a split to a snelled hook. the flounder rig has a yellow plastic egg on it so it always looks baited, and i think the ball part of the jig works the same.
take some ice with you - flounder go bad a lot quicker than most fish.
there are yellow tail flounder right in sj harbour and around the falls, but i wouldn't eat them...
Thanks Jpop! what about the wharf in St. Martins?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`ve only fished st. martins wharf for sea trout and mackerel. it might be a bit rocky for flounder. you would probably be better off fishing off the beach there. anybody else know?
anybody else know?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i`ve only fished st. martins wharf for sea trout and mackerel. it might be a bit rocky for flounder. you would probably be better off fishing off the beach there. anybody else know?
anybody else know?
My son really wants to fish off a wharf so I figured St. Martins was the closest to us and thought I would give it a try.When are we able to fish there?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i don`t see any listing for the irsh river for tidal water. casting out into the salt water there is legal 24/7 all year long for none sport fish.
if you don`t get any there try from the beaver harbour wharf.
a buddy of mine lost a good size halibut from the old fery terminal at blacks harbour - total fluke to hook up with one there, and it didn`t stay on long, breaking the line after it rolled on the surface. he was using 40pound test striper line and it broke with a bang so loud it sounded like a high power rifle going off beside me, and i was on the other side of the wharf.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don`t see any listing for the irsh river for tidal water. casting out into the salt water there is legal 24/7 all year long for none sport fish.
if you don`t get any there try from the beaver harbour wharf.
a buddy of mine lost a good size halibut from the old fery terminal at blacks harbour - total fluke to hook up with one there, and it didn`t stay on long, breaking the line after it rolled on the surface. he was using 40pound test striper line and it broke with a bang so loud it sounded like a high power rifle going off beside me, and i was on the other side of the wharf.
So I can fish there today if I wanted? That is crazy about the Halibut!!What could I be catching this time of year of the St. Martins wharf?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
last years license has expired but you don`t need one to fish salt water so long as you do not keep sport fish. so if you happen to catch a trout there at the wharf you have to throw them back until april 15, and from then you would need a provincial license to keep them. if you hook into mackerel, herring, flounder, gaspereaux or other none sport fish you can keep them.
remember, don`t fish the river, fish the salt water there.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sport fish in nb are: sea run atlantic salmon, land loched atlantic salmon, brook trout, brown trout, lake trout, rainbow trout, arctic char (basicly any trout or hybrid), and small mouth bass.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sport fish in nb are: sea run atlantic salmon, land loched atlantic salmon, brook trout, brown trout, lake trout, rainbow trout, arctic char (basicly any trout or hybrid), and small mouth bass.
Thanks again Jpop u have been a huge help. I was just gonna stay around the wharf area. Is it a waist of time this time a year?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
unfortunately i haven`t fished st. martins harbour this time of year. with global warming, it`s hard to say.
there are lots of fish in the water right now. tons of seals are feeding in sj harbour and there are lots of gulls working the whole harbour & falls area. i think harbour polluck should be around st. martins wharf (pure guess) and there is almost always some sort of flounder around. the big runs at the moment should be herring and gasperaux (alewifes and blue back herring). in the sj harbour and falls area there are at least a few tommy cod. and anywhere tidal right now there are smelt.

for stripers keep in mind that although they will hit in day light the prime bite is in the dark, dawn and dusk.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unfortunately i haven`t fished st. martins harbour this time of year. with global warming, it`s hard to say.
there are lots of fish in the water right now. tons of seals are feeding in sj harbour and there are lots of gulls working the whole harbour & falls area. i think harbour polluck should be around st. martins wharf (pure guess) and there is almost always some sort of flounder around. the big runs at the moment should be herring and gasperaux (alewifes and blue back herring). in the sj harbour and falls area there are at least a few tommy cod. and anywhere tidal right now there are smelt.

for stripers keep in mind that although they will hit in day light the prime bite is in the dark, dawn and dusk.
Again Thanks for the help but i dont think I have the gear for stripers but I would love to catch one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Will Herring take bait? or are they just hesding up tp breed? any luck on jigging them? I love hsving bait of whatever fish is heading up the river.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
herring will take a plain black hook - no bait. they can also go for small shad flies, or so i have been told.

·
Registered
428 Posts
We always filled the boat with flounder in May and it would taper off the later in the season it got. It would take 3 of us at least 2.5-3hrs to fillet them all. This is 12-15yrs ago and I haven't tried it much lately. You can also get into Ocean Pout/Eel Pout. They look like a cod with an eel's body. They are often used in fish n' chips or sold as ocean catfish. They are all white flesh with long nice fillets off the tail.

A person who worked at the salmon cage sites told me that some of the sites in that area have had the bottom polluted with rotting feed and whatever else comes from the day to day activities. It was apparently so bad, they had to suck the bottom or have their site shut down. I have been fishing before and been told not to keep any fish that I catch because they were medicating the salmon. Also, don't forget that a certain salmon grower is being accused using illegal pesticide to kill sea lice and that stuff kills everything on the bottom. I wouldn't eat a damn thing nowadays that came from a salmon cage site.

·
Registered
428 Posts
herring will take a plain black hook - no bait. they can also go for small shad flies, or so i have been told.
I use sabiki rigs. I buy them in Calais for under $2 each. They are great! They catch herring, mackerel, pollock and whatever else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts