New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go flounder and mackerel fishing I just use my regular freshwater spinning rod with braided line, is it going to rust or break from salt water? If that is a bad choice what rod, reel, and line should a I use.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When I go flounder and mackerel fishing I just use my regular freshwater spinning rod with braided line, is it going to rust or break from salt water? If that is a bad choice what rod, reel, and line should a I use.
Yes, you will damage your freshwater rod and reel by fishing saltwater and to properly clean them means total disassembly and lubrication and wipe down of your rod. Here's your best options. 1. Use a junky rod and reel that you can do a quick washdown and spray some wd-40 etc on, then throw away when the bearings and gears get corroded. 2. Buy a used penn conventional reel and a fiberglass boat rod. They are cheap, easy to disassemble and clean, plus durable and easy to get parts for. I just cleaned up a 12/0 Penn (like the reel in Jaws) the other day that had never been cleaned since new, repacked the bearings, cleaned the old grease off and it is just like new. Penns are great for boat fishing for mackerel and flounder, durable and no nonsense.

If you are going fish from a wharf or shore, you will need something that can cast a distance and lift fish up 20-40 in the air. Shimano AX saltwaters rods at Wal-mart or Doirons are cheap (25-30) durable and no big loss if they get broken. You can also get a large Shimano AX spinning reel for cheap if you can find one. You don't need anything too fancy. Even those cheapy striper combos might be ok if the rod is not too stiff and it isn't too heavy. I wouldn't go over 9' and not under 7'-6".

As for line, I never went under 14lb test for flounder or mackerel from the boat and still had the occasional break off. I would say 20lb mono or 30-40lb braid would be best all 'round. You never know what else you will catch or what will catch your mackerel! When you have your rig full, then your rod takes a big hit and your left with 2 and a 1/2 mackerel, you'll wonder what else is down below.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
like Bigfish1 said, salt destroys reels. so use one you don`t like anymore or a cheapy or...pay big bucks. soak/rinse in fresh water afterwards - and not a stream or lake please!! lol...

for a rod, i like to use a medium to light ugly stick - makes for a great fight! i also will use a small to medium striper rod. like a 7foot that is easy to cast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts