New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up to Carrolls Crossing on Saturday to do a little fishing and bring my boat home for the winter.
The water was a little low for my liking,especially for floating a boat. I fished the trout hole for a while
but had to leave after I realized I forgot my gas line.A flat bottom boat doesn't paddle that well in low water
and by the time I got to Doaktown,my arms felt like lead!I did manage to fish a bit on the way and rolled a grilse
and caught a nice trout while fishing for some of the many salmon and grilse showing near Sutter Pond.It was a nice trip
(except for the tough paddle)and the fall colors were really nice.Seen a lot of fish rolling and jumping all over
the river and saw a lot of wildlife.Must have seen a dozen eagles during the trip.See photos of the trout and Big Hole Brook
in the gallery.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was up to Carrolls Crossing on Saturday to do a little fishing and bring my boat home for the winter.
The water was a little low for my liking,especially for floating a boat. I fished the trout hole for a while
but had to leave after I realized I forgot my gas line.A flat bottom boat doesn't paddle that well in low water
and by the time I got to Doaktown,my arms felt like lead!I did manage to fish a bit on the way and rolled a grilse
and caught a nice trout while fishing for some of the many salmon and grilse showing near Sutter Pond.It was a nice trip
(except for the tough paddle)and the fall colors were really nice.Seen a lot of fish rolling and jumping all over
the river and saw a lot of wildlife.Must have seen a dozen eagles during the trip.See photos of the trout and Big Hole Brook
in the gallery.
That's a beauty trout! Maybe he'll go to sea and come back a monster next spring

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was quite warm Saturday and there must have been something hatching because there were trout rising everywhere
on certain stretches.These trout are a nice by-product of fall fishing on the Miramich and the Cains Rivers for salmon.
Just make sure to release any trout you catch!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Trout Hole was the first pool that I salmon fished with my dad and grandfather around 1958 to 1960. At that time it was part of the Wilson lease. We were allowed to fish it since my grandfather and old Mr Wilson fought in WW 1 side by side. We used to catch a lot of nice trout in the bogan at the head of the pool and in the bogan downriver behind the island. Those are fond memories of my early fishing years. I have often thought of going there to fish but am not sure which road to take to get into the pool.
Do you fish there often and does it get much traffic?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey chclr,Yes,I fish there quite often. I have in-laws who live in Carrolls so I'm up there quite a bit.It used to be fairly
simple to fish there in the recent past but the past year the guy who owns the intervale and the road to the pool shut it off
and is in the process of putting a permanent gate in.This guy doesn't fish but he has a jet ski that he likes to play with and he
takes his kids and wife down there a lot in the summer.So far I have permission to use his road(on foot)but who knows how long that will last?
There has been a lot of behind-the-scenes manoevers going on in that area and it doesn't look good for anglers trying to access the open
water in that area. Sorry about the missing photos in my last two posts,I guess someone took offence to them. My apologies to the site mod
that disliked the photos.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We used to access the pool by taking the road next to Renda Lyon's house at the bottom of the hill. This road went to the top of the island. We parked there and walked across the field to the pool. I suppose that road is grown over now!I remember seeing hay being forded across the river at this location by high axle wagons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts