New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, my brother and my cousin would love to go fishing this week and are looking for some help. We are kinda new to fishing and would love any help we can get from some of the experienced fisherman on this website. We were wanting to go for trout but any fishing is okay with us. So we were looking for some good areas close to Fredericton that is accessible from shore, as we have no boat. Also any techniques that will help with fishing this early in the season. Im not sure what, lures things to look for in the water..ect. Any help is greatly appreciated as we would love to get into the sport. Also we noticed that the rivers are all really high and if there some extra things we should know we would love to hear it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
well its kind of a wide question you might want to norrow it down a bit to what you want to fish and what kind of water you are fishing ..not to firmilier with fredricton fishing im from saint john but you cant fish any lakes unless there tidal waters meaning the rise and lower with the tide untill may first in saying that ..you plan on fishing next week so i assume you are gonna fish brooks steams rivers,..for beginners you cant beat a spinner hook and worm ...and go from there try to look for deeper pools with slower water ,, rocks ect..anything they can hide in..or under...hopefully this was some help good luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
Eric i went out on sat. to try the pokiok stream for trout but it seams to me the water is still to cold as i was still wading snow in the woods and i never got a bite. If you wanted to try for some smallmouth you might try the nashwaak below the cotton mill. Not sure if you are familier with suspending jerk baits but Rapala makes a decent one called the x-rap. You cast them out and take up the slack then give them a couple of jerks to get them down in the water a bit and let them sit there. This time of year let them sit in the slack water for up to a full min. them move it a bit and let it sit again you will eventually get a strike. Another good technique this time of year are tubes you can buy them at canadian tire but Phils has a great selection and the proper hooks, Just throw them out and slowly work them across the bottom. if your not gettin stuck on bottom and loosing some your not doing it right. Also this time of year if you think you are fishing to slow- Slow down even more!

·
Banned
65 Posts
Eric i went out on sat. to try the pokiok stream for trout but it seams to me the water is still to cold as i was still wading snow in the woods and i never got a bite. If you wanted to try for some smallmouth you might try the nashwaak below the cotton mill. Not sure if you are familier with suspending jerk baits but Rapala makes a decent one called the x-rap. You cast them out and take up the slack then give them a couple of jerks to get them down in the water a bit and let them sit there. This time of year let them sit in the slack water for up to a full min. them move it a bit and let it sit again you will eventually get a strike. Another good technique this time of year are tubes you can buy them at canadian tire but Phils has a great selection and the proper hooks, Just throw them out and slowly work them across the bottom. if your not gettin stuck on bottom and loosing some your not doing it right. Also this time of year if you think you are fishing to slow- Slow down even more!
No bass fishing till May 1st.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So the best thing to fish lures(crankbaits, spinnerbaits etc) is to do it slow? Because of the cold water?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts