New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try Wauklehegan on Sat., the 5th and if I do well I'll be back up there on the 6th, as well. Anybody that wants to come along, let me know. All you need is your licence,your lunch and any refreshments you may require. I've got plenty of tipups and everything else.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm going to try Wauklehegan on Sat., the 5th and if I do well I'll be back up there on the 6th, as well. Anybody that wants to come along, let me know. All you need is your licence,your lunch and any refreshments you may require. I've got plenty of tipups and everything else.
Sako,where is the Wauklehegan and what species are you fishing for? Also where are you?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wauklehegan is usually called McAdam Lake as it is in Mcadam. I'm fishing mostly white perch but also catch pickerel and Cusk at the same location. Usually have 2 sets for cusk(burbot) and the rest, depending on how many people there are, white perch and pickerel. I'm in McAdam on most weekends.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Wauklehegan is a no go for this winter. Went up this morning by road to the north end of the lake. Snowmobile was working like a charm. I got down to the lake shore and immediately knew I wasn't going to have a great day. Not a sled track in sight, which is strange anywhere on this lake. Started down along the shoreline where I knew it was only 4 to 6 feet deep and broke through the ice. I opened the machine up and got back on top of the snow. I figured it must have been a spring hole. I stayed on the shoreline and got down to Painter's Island. I went between the island and the shore and could finally see the odd snowmobile track. I felt a little more comfortable and headed toward the spot I wanted to fish. The machine kept dropping in the back and I looked back and could see a nice watery trail. Again I opened the motor up but couldn't get back on top of the snow. I made it to the island and went ashore. I took the auger and walked out on my tracks. I got about 4 feet from shore and broke through. Only dropped a fwe inches and hit better ice. It didn't nake me feel any better. There are a lot of rocks until you get out to about where there is 10 feet of water. I slogged along until I was clear of the rocks, broke the shell ice which was about 2 inches thick. I drilled a hole with less than 6 cranks. I didn't measure it but went back the way I came. I started the sled and went across the channel as fast as the machine would go. I then followed the shoreline back to the end of the lake where the boathouses are.I was very happy to get on dry land and drove on the roads back into town. I guess I'm done for this year. There is close to 2 feet of snow, then shell ice, then water, then maybe 6 to 8 inches of very soft ice. Palfrey and Spednic aren't the same as this so I may try there. A buddy of mine got a 20 inch salmon on Spednic this morning.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Very lucky. I was listening to a water rescue here in Saint John tonight, a sled went through the ice on Saint John River. They managed to get the guy out but he was in rough shape.

·
Registered
438 Posts
A lot of lakes arte like that, Indian lake is getting slushy now, lots of ice but slushy on top, same as maquapit , french is the better of them but its on its way to being slushy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts