New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering has anyone ever fished Reversing Falls, here in Saint John, NB? If so What have you caught? and where is a good spot to bank fish?

I went down on the wharf where they have a shuttle Boat and fished off it but nothing what have you got and when? What baits? and Also has anyone ever bought those Striper or hgue salmon rods from walmart and caught anything on them Thanks !

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There are all kinds of people fishing the Reversing Falls and area. Just do a search in this forum for Reversing Falls or Stripers and you will have enough reading to last weeks. Yes people have caught fish with thos surf rods from Walmart and it actuall isn't a bad way to start into it, but you will soon learn that you need better gear if you want to chase the stripers. The season is open year round for stripers near the falls and you will get all kinds of information from the guys on here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jim ! And yeah I fished alot like I know fishing inside out but Not stripers and you said its open year round for stripers? so thats great and are the reversing falls In the categoery of Tidal Waters? I have a licence just curious if so im heading down today Any suggestions on baits?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the falls is tidal (actualy it`s still the ocean), so no license needed but you can`t keep sport fish if you happen to catch any (until the provincial season opens for them, and then you would need a license for the sport fish). besides stripers, i have also caught there quite a few tommy cod, atlantic menheiden, eels, and even a sculpin. there are yellow tail flounder there two, and a lot more besides. most of these are bottom fish, so try some bait for them. the bottom is terrible there, so expect to lose a lot of rigs. try casting strait out from the dock, any thing to the right will be lost, 50/50 lost to the left. for the stripers, try big cranks, swimbaits, bucktail jigs, bait rigs and even bassworms. for natural baits in that area, try squid, sea worms and cut fish.
the cove to the right is actualy better fishing, just an even worse bottom and a constantly changing slimy muddy place to fish. be careful fishing the falls area.
take a look through the striper leads. it will list the other places in the falls area to fish from, and what tides work best (the dock area is best from 2 hrs before low to full high tide mostly)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@'ipop' , - Thanks alot ! that was an excellent answer really what I was looking for explained perfect pretty pumped now honestly very happy with what you said Im in amatuer to bigger fish Ive tried but never caught anything bigger then a large trout lol, I appreciate it I hope you can answer mroe questions I have thanks so much again !

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`m glad i could help out SeriousFisher. feel free to ask anytime.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great I have more haha... So on the topic now of "Trout" As the weather is right now in saint john, NB., cold and what not season is open very soon are trout in lakes and by lakes I mean smaller lakes ...more likely to be by banks or bottom or surface? would i have better lucky top water with a fly fishing? or sink to bottom with a spinner rod and reel ? I know thier mighten be a for sure answer but in this case within your exprience what would you say could be the best bet here at this time of year right now ! Thanks for the upcoming answer again ipop ! and to anyone else for the help !

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the lake season for trout doesn`t open until may1 in souther nb, so you have a bit more than a month to wait for fishing those spots.
generaly, brookies are bottom oriented, and spend time more along the shore areas. this is very general!
if there is structure around, they will be around the structure, from big rocks and boulders to logs, sunken bush etc. in current they are at least as likely to be up stream of the structure as they are down stream. they like lots of O2, so they hang at stream mouths and frothy water.
at dusk and dawn they feed even closer to the shore and once the bugs start up, they will feed on them mostly near or on the surface, again mostly at dusk and dawn. mostly... when trout are the dominant fish in an area, they use the whole water, when they are being feed on by other species, they spend more time near shore and hiding around stucture.

at the begining of river and brook season, most people find them near the stream mouths and the lower parts of streams. some people will rush to their honey holes right at the start of the season, but i find the trout fishing is better a few weeks into the season. with global warming, this could all move forward by a few weeks now. try any rig with a worm, including just a hook and worm, spinners and spinning lures and flashy lures to begin the season. personaly i go with a hildy rig most often. take a look in the trout section for them

for fly fishing, the start of the season is all about wet flies and streamers. once the bugs start hatching we add in dry flies. mostly. (yeah, i know every second word is mostly, but that`s how lots of fishing goes, mostly!...lol)

i have one sneaky trick when bobber fishing worms for trout. for shy fish, use a clear fly bobber instead of the regular bobbers. if you cast it far enough up stream or off to the side, the trout won`t even see it`s there, just that tastey worm coming along. shhh, don`t tell anybody! lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha great thanks alot !
jsut what I was looking for
!going to the falls dock later around 5 or so to try an hour of casting or so to ill be back tho ! Thanks again ipop !

·
Registered
40 Posts
A lot of you are either wrong or the rules have changed since this post started. striper season is not year round it goes from may to october and only certain times are retention periods with a limit of one per day. Also you can only use non-offset barbless circle hooks when using bait.

·
Registered
173 Posts
bbb9 they are talking about fundy striped bass, the fishery is actually quite different, with the minimum retention size being about the max size for the straight, and the larger size of the keepers being 5 feet.

Same province, much different body of water and rules.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yep. Regulations for the province are split on Striped Bass. Ditto fishing near the international border for other species.

Not every zone in the fishing guide is identical. And most of the information in this thread is over three years old, there bbb9.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts