New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to this fishing site but i thought id throw up a bit about my first fishing day of the season, My good friend and I headed out to Blissville area ( we are from oromocto ) it is fairly close to freddy junction. we went down to our usual spot for a bit of action, We caught 4 y. perch and countless Fall Fish, and i had what i though to be a 4 pound bass but of course he spit out my minnow lure becuase the hook might have been a bit small. Just wondering in what area's others have hit up today or are planning to fish this season, i am fairly new to NB fishing as i have only fished here last year and now will be starting this year, if any other's are looking for fishing buddies just send me a message, i try and get out as often as possible.

-Jordan

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
welcome to the site Jordan. check out the NB Paddlers Derby, it takes place in your area, french lake area at the sunbury park. there are lots of fish, with a few lakes and the oromocto river all connected there. BobD could tell you more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot! yeah i was looking up french lake the only thing i would go for in there would be there pike... well i guess around here you call then chain pickrel. I found another amazing site today that had locations of all the brooks, rivers and lakes, with what fish are in each really niffty handy site with the GPS coords for every spot. I really want to do alot of bass and brookies this year. i will have to check out that derby for sure! ..... alright im doing it rght now haha

-Jordan

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
there can be some good smallies there too. quite a few species, i think we caught 9 different species there last year.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Oromocto River in the Fredericton Junction/Tracey area is supposed to be great for bass. I've gone a couple of times and always caught fish. Depending on the time of year there can be sea-run trout and other stuff. The gaspereau run up through there as well, but I've never seen it go through when they are running hard.

The fishing for smallies can be pretty good at French Lake, though it is definitely known more as a pickerel lake. As ipop mentioned, during the Derby last year we caught 9 different species of fish, so there is a lot of variety, and quite a few fish.

Where you can fish in the tidal portions of that watershed depends on what your options are for boats. The tidal portions are pretty much a huge swamp, so it can be hard to get to good spots to fish from shore, though there is a bridge that crossed the Oromocto near French Lake (the community). A lot of people do fish from shore there. If you have access to a boat it really opens up more area for you to go. I know some people who say they have more success looking for smallies in the Rusagornis stream and swamp area where it runs into the Oromocto River.

Also there is bass all along the Saint John River, and up into the Oromocto River. You can also try the mouth of the Nashwaak River, as it also has a lot of bass.

If you are looking for trout, you can go up the Nashwaak a little further. I've not really done a lot of fishing for trout though, so you may need to get some advice from others for that. I've seen a few suggestions on here, so look around and you might find some. Or do as others have suggested and try out a few yourself!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the information! i am fishing from shore at the moment but i have been working on a boat with my good freind all winter he had traded his motorcycle for it and we found the floor had been rotten out so we stripped the whole thing down and rebuilt it, we have just have a few more things to do like build the bins, consol, and put some lights in and we will be good to go. I got the fever agian as i do every year on the first day of the season haha. I will be trying to attend the derby's this year as they sound to be a ton of fun. as for finding spots me and my friend get the GPS out and go for adventures, even the wife and i have went out looking for new spots, i just havnt found any good ones for trout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts