New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was planning on going up to Moncton tomorrow and was going to bring my fishing rod/tackle box to go fishing if I have a bit of spare time. Just occured to me that even though I have a NS Licence, in order to fish in NB, I'll need a non-resident licence in order to fish legally there.

I was wondering though if a licence would be needed to fish in salt water (pte. du chene wharf). ...and where they can be purchased in Moncton/Shediac.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
that`s right, no license needed for salt water on the east coast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
True, but bag limits etc...still apply. Might be a good idea to pick up a fish NB book.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
the only thing it says about it is you need an Atlantic salmon license if you want to retain an Atlantic salmon caught in tidal waters.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I beleive in tidal waters you still have to follow catch limits and size limits...Ex: 1 striped bass per day and the slot size, license or not.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i believe Noelco is correct. at least for sport fish, i found the federal rule for recreational fishing on the east coast applied the provincial catch and size limits from the provincial waters you launched from (if i remember right, i found this about 6-7 years ago when i got back into mackerel fishing, looking for something else, in the east coast, bay of fundy and gulf rules) it could be where you land, but i think it`s where you launch from. what i found didn`t give much details, but it did say they are not additive - to use Noelco`s example, you can only keep one striper of greater than min. size, per day, and it makes no difference if it came from salt or fresh water. it sort of makes sense, when you land, on provincial teritory, you would have the fish in your possession (hmmm, maybe i have the launch/landing thing backwards!) the reverse certainly applies, federal rules for salmon and stripers apply for provincial waters too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts