New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all,

First thing: im sorry i might do some mistakes...english is not my first language.

Im new to fishing here in NB, i did some shore fishing when i was a kid and everything was already set up for me...i just needed to throw the line!

Finally the opportunity to fish showed up this year and im gearing up. Also i really love to do camping but its gonna be a first too in NB this year.

Here is the idea: i would like to merge those 2 passions.I want to grab my backpack and my fishing gear, set up my tent near a river/lake and wait for the dawn to start fishing.

Im the cheapest guy on earth so i dont want to pay for a regular camping ground... And i dont want to be on someone property too... i just dont want to have a shotgun pointed at me!!!!!

Do you know some areas where i can do that?

Have anybody did that and want to share is experience?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey there,

I like hiking, and camping just as much as fishing as well, and this year having a canoe to make use of that also will be a main part of my summer. Check out the following thread on a trip in towards Loch Alva in late May and you may be up for this one if your able to pair with another person that has a 2 man canoe.

http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php/topic/2297-who-would-be-interested-in-learning-a-few-new-spots

In the meantime, I'd be happy to take off for a night or two here and there into the wilderness for some fishing. I've got all the camping / backpacking / fishing gear I'd personally need, and if we find a spot where we'd need a canoe to get to the camping site, I've got that covered as well.

Send me a PM and we can figure out some arrangements. The extended forecast for May looks like lows at or above 10 degrees so really any weekend in May could be a good time to look at camping / fishing trips like this.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If a canoe now figures into your plans, I cannot think of a better trip in NB than the upper Nepisiguit. We did it a LOT when I was younger. You leave a vehicle at Popple Depot, and start your trip in Mount Carleton Prov Pk, at the ford between Bathurst Lake and Camp lake. Make your first night stop at the point where the lakes turn into the river, at its confluence with Moose Brook. Plan on at least one more night of camping, and hopefully two more, because you'll be fishing a LOT. Haven't done the trip in 10 years, and I expect there might be a bit more ATV access now, but we generally encountered no one on three day trips. Go mid-week if you can. There are a LOT of fish in this upper stretch. The stretch outside the park is part of a Class II Protected Natural Area, but fishing, camping and canoeing are allowed.
One warning, though. I've fished in Yukon, NWT and Alaska, and I've never encountered blackflies as dense as we did there. Great source of food for the trout, though, and if you're brave/nearsighted enough to be able to use #24-#26 gnats, you'll clean up.
brent

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip Brent, thank for the suggestion. I'd be up to make plans for a trip like this in early July when the family is leaving me home along for a bit while they go on vacation!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Water will likely be low at that time of year, but the fishing should be very good, esp with a fly rod. If you can pole a canoe and don' take too much weight, you should be fine.
Another great way to avoid crowds and have some good fishing, if you enjoy bass and white perch fishing, is to launch at Spednic Lake P P and strike off for one of the islands up Palfrey Neck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im planning to get a kayak instead of a canoe(im alone so i dont need all that space and i dont want to bear the canoe, you know lightier the funnier...!), im only gonna be able to do those trips in the weekends so i can spent only 1 or 2 nights max per trips... By the way im from Beaver Dam, south of Fredericton. Any other spot?

Spednic Lake near McAdam?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Spednic Lake is a great spot. I've camped there with my wife before we had kids in the provincial camp grounds, though I don't know the status of those campgrounds today. I didn't fish in NB at the time, so we just enjoyed the short hiking trails, some swimming and lots of relaxing.

I'd be up to take a run out there sometime to camp and fish for sure. If your from around Fredericton BigBen, and you didn't want to have us both drive solo, we could meet somewhere around Saint John, throw your gear in my CRV and head out with the canoe in tow behind. I'd rather have someone with me on a lake like that in canoe. I'm in Quispamsis, so it might be best to meet and leave from here where you can safely park.

if we are going to boat on Spednic, we would have to watch the weather. You wouldn't want to be out there in canoe unless the wind is really down low, especially early when the water is cold.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Oh, ok. Beaverdam, and kayak. Here's something 15 k from home: You can hop into the Rusagonis Stream where it crosses the Rusagonis Road, and paddle all the way to the Oromocto River (about 10k downstream), and also paddle upstream about 4 km toward the covered bridge, but you'll run out of water before the covered bridge in the summer. Theres a good place to leave your car at the bridge. No current (except that there's a minor tidal movement up and downstream), so you can easily paddle back to where you put in. There are a few places to pitch a tent there, but its a pretty buggy area, so take some coils and bug dope. Of late, the Rusagonis has been producing bass up to about 18", and has always held plenty of chain pickerel and yellow perch. Check it out on Google Earth. It really meanders. You will not encounter any development once you launch and pass under the railway/walking bridge a few hundred meters downstream. Once you're on the Oromocto River, you can head upstream toward F'ton Junction or downstream to the Town of Oromocto. Not many boats on the 'gornish', but there are some real tools on the Oromocto river, so keep an eye out for chowderheads in big powerboats who don't care if they swamp you. Oromocto has bass and chain pickerel, too, and should probably have some muskies down toward Oromocto Town, but I don't know much about them.
hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the bridge this morning and its an awesome spot! Not too far from home, i can park by the bridge and the wilderness is awesome(saw a couple of beavers and ducks)! I didnt catch anything yet and the water is very high, does it make a difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes. Unfortunately, that lower stretch is affected by the Saint John. As I said, its tidal, so obviously very close to sea level. When the SJ is in flood stage, it backs up the Oromocto, and up the Rusagonis. Water from that bridge downstream won't drop til the Saint John drops, which won't be for a few weeks, yet. Wait til the mud banks are starting to show; the fishing will start to get pretty hot from then, on. The water under and around that bridge gets pounded pretty hard by local kids and folks from the Base.
If you're itching for some stream fishing, you might just go out the O'Leary Road and hit the South Branch and some of the beaver ponds out there. People tell me Three Tree Creek can fish well this time of year, too.

What color's your kayak? I live 2 k from the bridge; I'll keep an eye out for you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the spots!!!! I got a green Pelican kaki kayak...im trying to figure out how to upload a picture of my kayak on my profile...I guess that it was an equipment tryout this morning!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.