New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry...meant to post this in the Flyfishing Section. No idea how to move it.

I was in San Antonio last week for work and prearranged a visit with an old university friend who now lives in Houston. He suggested I come a day or two early and he'd take me fishing on the Flats at Port O'Conner on the gulf. Sounded good to me...so I booked flights to go 2 days earlier than work required me to. Rented a car when I landed and drove 5 hours to Port O'Conner and met up and split the bill on a small motel right by the gulf.

Next AM we hit the flats ( after a full coating of 70 proof SPF ) in a custom little 18 foot skiff (Beavertail I think ?) designed specifically for flyfishing. Very cool. We managed to catch about 12 Red Drums that AM and early afternoon. Had hopes of going for tarpon too but there wasn't time to do both (location) I only had 1 day to fish. Knocked it off around 2:30 as the temps were getting around 105 deg...and that is smokin' hot for this little Canadian guy as well as the Texans. As a side-note...I drank 8 liters of water that day, several 500 ml bottle of gatorade, and I never relieved myself once all day. Amazing how much fluid you loose even when your not sweating or exerting yourself.

Heres a few pics. If you ever get a chance to go...GO ! It was my once in a lifetime opportunity. Just for fun I enquired about "guide prices" for the same sort of day...runs about $500 for guide/boat for a day of flyfishing. So its not just the Miramichi that has high prices LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts