New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Open Topic....tell us fish tales....I will add some soon....had a few drinks and can't type right now

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Open Topic....tell us fish tales....I will add some soon....had a few drinks and can't type right now
Aug , 2009. It was foggy here along the bay of fundy coast that morning. There had been some rain lately bringing the water level up and temperature down in river"X". It was 5 am and I had planned to hike into the river and my favorite hole by dawn. It was a long hike about 2 miles through thick brush. My light died about half-way in forcing me to wait for light before going further. It was 710 when I finally was making the steep decent to the pool, and my GPS confirmed I was bang on with my compass bearing. I had hip waders on but should have worn a rain jacket- heavy dew had left me soaked.

Since discovering the pool in the spring I had yet to hook a fish in it. I theorized there was a big trout in it scaring away all the other ones. I was determined to get him that morning. The pool is formed from the second step of a set of rapids. The pool is deep and long with the deepest part on the other side of the river along a cliff face. Another reason I love the pool is that is fishable with a fly rod- unusual for this river and required by law.

I slowly and quietly climbed down the rock face at the head of the pool. It looked perfect. A mist clung several inches deep over the river.I had decided the night before to try Dad's Muddler with gold body and white tips. I pulled my rod and reel from it's case and tossed a small amount of line into the head of the pool. To fish the head only about 15' of line is required. I took about 5 cast per step and each cast I was about 2 mins apart as I let the fly work side to side through the current toward a couple of rocks at the head of the pool. I was thigh deep and only 1 foot from shore as I came to the prime place on the pool. I was going to need more line to get it out to the cliff face. After pulling more line I laid it across the river bouncing the muddler off the cliff then it disappeared into the mist and the river. I slowly pulled some line and there it was....he was instantly hooked and pulling hard taking me almost to the backing. It was a large fish. I was so excited, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Was it a grilse? It had to have been too big for a trout. Then I reeled back some line the it broke water and I saw it's thick back as it headed down steam again. It was impossible to wade any further down steam in the river as the water drops off to about 6' deep and the only way around is to hike back onto the ridge and go around. And I was nearly at my backing. Also a danger were the large rocks at the tale of the pool. I took my wallet, GPS and digital camera out of my pocked and set them on a rock, took a deep breath and bobbed into the pool....Now it's hard to imagine, but held the rod and bounced off the bottom of the pool pushing hard with my legs and I was on the surface again. The waders were full with water and I was realizing I was not nearly as buoyant as usual. Still they weren't chest waders and I was a strong swimmers I reasoned. Adrenalin had taken over...and I only had 10 feet to "bob" before I would be in waist deep water. I panicked a little and considered for a second letting the rod go- a 500$ doaks 9'6 rod. I regained my senses and my footing only to realize the line was now slack. I quickly reeled in the water logged reel and my line was tight and he was still on. He was tired now and I was able to power him closer to shore and away from several rocks.

I was astounded to see it was a brooky with summer colors but thick and muscular and definitely a summering sea trout. He was all of 19" and 3 lbs. As I pulled the hook from his mouth I realized my camera was upstream on a rock. I laughed....."nobody is ever going to believe this" and I released him back into the river. I hiked my soggy butt back to my truck but I swear I was smiling and chucking the whole way out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
it was april 18th 2011 and ime brendan and my dad were going out on the hammond river to try and catch a sea run of a pickerel. It was my first time in my kayak that i got in Christmas and i was also using my brand new rod (cabelas pro guide with my shimano reel). we put in at the angling association and as we paddled up to the train bridge i got my rod ready as i drifted in the water. I put on a spinner that my dads friend told us was killer for brookies, I put 2 night crawlers and started trolling.
As we got to the train bridge i followed the channel and whent to the nearest cement wall and started circleing with anout 20' of line out. after about 20 minutes i got a nibble and reeled in to check if a had a worm. i still had the worm but wasn't sure if i had the botom or a fish so i tried my little secret, i looked as close as i can on the worm and notiseed about 3 little holes the size of a Big trouts teeth. So i started trolling again in a circle atoud the wall. after about 5 minutes i got the bite and it was big! as soon as i set the hook he was tahking line fast. as i then realised ... i didn't have a net! the only on of us with the net was my dad who was about 50 yards down streem. i started yeling as i caught my first glimpse of the fish and assuded it was a pickerel about 26 inches long. i tried to put my rod in the rod holder and paddle but was afraid i would snap the rod of loose all my line. so i started yelling to my dad to come as i started to fight the fish. about 10 minutes later he turned back and assumed i was fliprd over and drownding but then he saw it the 28 inch long fish jumping probably 5.5' high. as he got closer ihe hollered "ITS A SALMON!" and thats when i started shaking. as he got closer brendan stated paddleing over and after 10 mins of fighting we got it close enough to net... but the net was too small, meant for trout. my dad tried to net in but scence it wat too big he flopped it on my lap. we took some pictures and I got to see the beautiful fish swim away from my hands and go into the murky water.
on our way back i noticed thet my kayak had about 2 inches of water and as we got to the angling association we found that it has a hole in the bottom, lucky for me it wan't too big and i got to catch my first salmon (28 inches...check the gallery).

·
Registered
576 Posts
well I got a fish tale from today.. while it's still fresh in my mind, think I'll share.. ...picture this.. windy and rainy as old h*ll, I had heard there was a possibility of snow... it was so windy the tips of the trees were almost touching the water... the chance of hooking into any grilse would be a miracle on it's own... but Zamboni-guy, managed to pull one out of his hat.. we tried a pool we've never fished before.. went down to the tail end and in ten minutes he had a fish on! Miracle?! probably not...He knows how to fish... but I very well couldnt' be out fished by ZG.. so I took up casting residence where he hooked his fish... probably a half hour later I hooked into a grilse on the Ol' LT Special... the fly had just hit the water and the grilse came up.. I knew I was trouble when I saw the whites of his eyes and big Ol' wink from the fish... I knew I was in for a good fight.. to add when I casted.. my casting line tangled around the butt end of the rod... so when I tried to set the hook my line was limp... regardless, I had the fish on... managed to address the tangled line and started picking up the slack... the fish jumped up out of the water and did a tripple backflip and for added difficulty and to score additional points on the jump.. he did a funky two step before belly flopping back into the pool... but I still had him on and the fight continued... he started to run a little bit then head back up river and come out of the water again.. at this point the fish was directly across from me... and while he was in the air.. the damn fish spit the Ol' LT Special right back at me!( imagine fish saying "Paaatooey!!") then I saw the smile on his ugly mug and another wink of the eye and off he went... now by the time all this happened ZG had just got the camera out and had it ready to go... but.. for this fight it wasn't needed... Now the events of this story are fairly fresh in my mind.. there was no doubt that we had hooked into 2 fish...and no doubt in my minds clarity that some of these described events happened.. however, there is no denying that I have fishing-itis( uncontrollable urges to lie) for some of the described events...but only to make the story a bit more interesting... I could have just said that ZG hooked and landed a fish and I hooked and lost a fish.. now what kind of story would that be???? honestly?? not much of a story, right?!?!?! lol LOL lol ha ha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was april 18th 2011 and ime brendan and my dad were going out on the hammond river to try and catch a sea run of a pickerel. It was my first time in my kayak that i got in Christmas and i was also using my brand new rod (cabelas pro guide with my shimano reel). we put in at the angling association and as we paddled up to the train bridge i got my rod ready as i drifted in the water. I put on a spinner that my dads friend told us was killer for brookies, I put 2 night crawlers and started trolling.
As we got to the train bridge i followed the channel and whent to the nearest cement wall and started circleing with anout 20' of line out. after about 20 minutes i got a nibble and reeled in to check if a had a worm. i still had the worm but wasn't sure if i had the botom or a fish so i tried my little secret, i looked as close as i can on the worm and notiseed about 3 little holes the size of a Big trouts teeth. So i started trolling again in a circle atoud the wall. after about 5 minutes i got the bite and it was big! as soon as i set the hook he was tahking line fast. as i then realised ... i didn't have a net! the only on of us with the net was my dad who was about 50 yards down streem. i started yeling as i caught my first glimpse of the fish and assuded it was a pickerel about 26 inches long. i tried to put my rod in the rod holder and paddle but was afraid i would snap the rod of loose all my line. so i started yelling to my dad to come as i started to fight the fish. about 10 minutes later he turned back and assumed i was fliprd over and drownding but then he saw it the 28 inch long fish jumping probably 5.5' high. as he got closer ihe hollered "ITS A SALMON!" and thats when i started shaking. as he got closer brendan stated paddleing over and after 10 mins of fighting we got it close enough to net... but the net was too small, meant for trout. my dad tried to net in but scence it wat too big he flopped it on my lap. we took some pictures and I got to see the beautiful fish swim away from my hands and go into the murky water.
on our way back i noticed thet my kayak had about 2 inches of water and as we got to the angling association we found that it has a hole in the bottom, lucky for me it wan't too big and i got to catch my first salmon (28 inches...check the gallery).
nice one...at least you got a picture to prove the tale!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I got a fish tale from today.. while it's still fresh in my mind, think I'll share.. ...picture this.. windy and rainy as old h*ll, I had heard there was a possibility of snow... it was so windy the tips of the trees were almost touching the water... the chance of hooking into any grilse would be a miracle on it's own... but Zamboni-guy, managed to pull one out of his hat.. we tried a pool we've never fished before.. went down to the tail end and in ten minutes he had a fish on! Miracle?! probably not...He knows how to fish... but I very well couldnt' be out fished by ZG.. so I took up casting residence where he hooked his fish... probably a half hour later I hooked into a grilse on the Ol' LT Special... the fly had just hit the water and the grilse came up.. I knew I was trouble when I saw the whites of his eyes and big Ol' wink from the fish... I knew I was in for a good fight.. to add when I casted.. my casting line tangled around the butt end of the rod... so when I tried to set the hook my line was limp... regardless, I had the fish on... managed to address the tangled line and started picking up the slack... the fish jumped up out of the water and did a tripple backflip and for added difficulty and to score additional points on the jump.. he did a funky two step before belly flopping back into the pool... but I still had him on and the fight continued... he started to run a little bit then head back up river and come out of the water again.. at this point the fish was directly across from me... and while he was in the air.. the damn fish spit the Ol' LT Special right back at me!( imagine fish saying "Paaatooey!!") then I saw the smile on his ugly mug and another wink of the eye and off he went... now by the time all this happened ZG had just got the camera out and had it ready to go... but.. for this fight it wasn't needed... Now the events of this story are fairly fresh in my mind.. there was no doubt that we had hooked into 2 fish...and no doubt in my minds clarity that some of these described events happened.. however, there is no denying that I have fishing-itis( uncontrollable urges to lie) for some of the described events...but only to make the story a bit more interesting... I could have just said that ZG hooked and landed a fish and I hooked and lost a fish.. now what kind of story would that be???? honestly?? not much of a story, right?!?!?! lol LOL lol ha ha
was that on the cains chad?

·
Registered
298 Posts
yup, Manzer map 5.. buddy of mine told me about the spot. I've done very well on the Cains this year with the LT Special
Ha Ha Chad the only lie in that story was the snow forcast ! All the rest is pretty much what happened, and you failed to mentioned that it's the only LT special you have I think it's time for a new one
Tight lines and we do er agian soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts