New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Caught a few of these tonight, unsure of what they are. We thought they may be chubs but I caught one that was 12-13" long, few other bigger ones and then a few 4-6" ones. Caught in Canaan River, can anyone tell me what fish this is?

Probably a stupid question, but I have no idea what it is. lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks Bob! Not super strong fighting fish, but they are fun to catch. Buddy of mine was pulling them out left right and center every cast lol Just a spinner and a worm. I caught my bigger on with a spinner and a Mr. Twister grub lol

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`ve used them to test out plastics and bio baits. finding out which they think of as bait and how little it takes to get them to strike. it was a lot easier testing on a bunch of greedy fallfish than finding a bunch of trout to test on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are all the pictures of the same fish? The fish in the first picture looks to have a spot on the dorsal fin which is characteristic of creek chub. Both creek chub and fallfish are in the same genus though, so they're pretty similar

·
Registered
492 Posts

JChase... yes it does seem to, however the number of scales on the fish are more indicative of a fallfish (43-50) instead of creek chub (53-61). As well the dark pigmentation around the edge of the scales is a strong fallfish indicator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, it looked more like a fallfish to me too. I just wasn't sure about the dot and I really didn't want to count the scales lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts