New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at installing an old Garmin 160 in my SOT, just a little nervous about drilling holes for power and the transducer. Any hints, tips and especially pics would be appreciated. I have found this site and it looks slick. Project prowler

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
styk, holes are permenant but i consider modifying to make your 'yak better a good thing - i don't think i'll ever stop changing mine...untill i build the new one...! lol
i can't see the project prowler site because i'm at work, but the other solututions are glue or a floating head (sort of works but not at any speed...). i'm planning on using a clamp on stick with the tranducer head mounted on it for my next set up - not the best working but the most adjustable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I highly recomend mounting the transducer inside the yak. Here is what I did....I cut a hole in the bottom of a small lock n lock rubbermaid type container. Get one that is just large enough for the transducer to mount into and seal it to the inside hull of the yak with GOOP an automotive sealant that u can pick up at ctire. I then cut a hole large enough to run the transducer wires through the top of the container s that u can close the cotainer up. Instead of vasiline or some other gel I just fill the small container 3/4 full of water and close the top. That way it doesnt splash out.The lock n locks have a nice top that seals well when closed up. I do find the temps read a couple degrees higher than what the actual water temp is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so I power up the old Garmin 160 with the transducer in a bucket of water, I can here a pinging sound and the screen dims at the same time, is this normal or is the transducer fubar? I have never used it since i got it from another guy. my el cheapo hummingbird from canadian tire doesn't do this,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried out the fish finder setup. Forgot the Vaseline so i used water instead, worked perfectly, Thanks rocketball.

·
Registered
110 Posts
right on man.....not sure about that pinging sound. I have never heard that on mine.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Here's what I did. I bought a cheap Eagle from CT that was on sale for like $100 with the side-mount transducer. I simply pass the transducer cable through a piece of pvc pipe that fits through snugly in one of the scauper holes of my Wilderness System Tarpon 120, with the transducer hot-glued to it, and away you go! At the end of the day, I just pull the pipe out, and you'd never know it was there. No holes or anything.

Incidently, I absolutely love having a fish finder in my yak. Not only does it show me if there are fish around, but it shows me holes I never knew or could have known were there. As a result, I've been hooking into more fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts