New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip to Nb next year and would really like to try for a muskie. just looking for some info here. If i am staying in Saint John roughly how far would i have to go to have a decent shot at one (for example would Grand lake be suitable). Do i need a boat or is there quality fishing from shore? What other species are available in the vicenity (are there any sunfish). Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well I'm not a musky person, I do hear a few things. And what the heck, I'd love to catch one of those beauties...

There is another website for the dedicated muskie angler here: http://www.muskiesnb.ca/

My understanding is if you want to have a decent chance of catching them you will have to travel up to at least Fredericton. That is about an hour drive from Saint John. For a better chance go another hour north to Woodstock.

In the Fredericton area there are smallmouth, pickeral, some striped bass, perch, etc. If you go above the Mactaquac dam, then there are more sunfish as well.

As for the need for a boat, it is not essential, but I'm not sure how successful people are fishing from shore. Maybe others can comment on that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good luck finding the muskies this year. They seemed to have pretty much disappeared from around Fredericton and I've heard they're not getting many around Woodstock either. Some are saying the water is too warm and has sent the fish into deeper water.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fished Freddy on Sun from 6:30am till 2pm. Not even a follow. We tried all the known hotspots, both casting and trolling. I dont know where the fish went as I never seen one large fish on the fishfinders all day. I guess its time to wait for cooler water!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
The river is very low, but they must be hiding somewhere in some deep hole.

Anyone fished around in the headpond? There is some seriously deep water there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts