New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Spent the full day yesterday up on the Renous fishing various spots (most popular spots known to most anyone who fish up there) and had a great day on the river. I went up with Zamboni-guy, we hit the water fishing at 6am and fished til the river blew out due to the rain at about 7:30pm. Saw lots of fish activity and I even managed to hook into my first salmon ever... although I didn't get a chance to hold the fish I did get to play him for about 20 minutes, into my backing once... the fish never jumped, just bulldog'd and few short runs.. then the decision was made to get the fish in (although I had already been trying) and he did a few head shakes and snapped my leader. I've never hooked into a fish like that..my set up works great for grilse... Zamboni-guy had a better look at it than me and he said it appeared to be about a 40 inch fish.. all I know is the tail was massive, I can't spread my hand wide enough to even come close to the size of the tail... the only issue for me, is my setup... after hooking a fish like that... my 7 weight and 6lb test leader just aint going to cut it.. I'm going to go buy a bigger weight rod and start using 8 to 10 lb test leader at a minimum... all I can say is my right arm was feeling the burn and my 7 weight rod was bent over the whole time.. surprised the 6lb test held as long as it did.. oh and the black leach I had on, works wonders on salmon.. don't let anyone tell you any different! lol

Thanks again ZG for taking me up there!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Spent the full day yesterday up on the Renous fishing various spots (most popular spots known to most anyone who fish up there) and had a great day on the river. I went up with Zamboni-guy, we hit the water fishing at 6am and fished til the river blew out due to the rain at about 7:30pm. Saw lots of fish activity and I even managed to hook into my first salmon ever... although I didn't get a chance to hold the fish I did get to play him for about 20 minutes, into my backing once... the fish never jumped, just bulldog'd and few short runs.. then the decision was made to get the fish in (although I had already been trying) and he did a few head shakes and snapped my leader. I've never hooked into a fish like that..my set up works great for grilse... Zamboni-guy had a better look at it than me and he said it appeared to be about a 40 inch fish.. all I know is the tail was massive, I can't spread my hand wide enough to even come close to the size of the tail... the only issue for me, is my setup... after hooking a fish like that... my 7 weight and 6lb test leader just aint going to cut it.. I'm going to go buy a bigger weight rod and start using 8 to 10 lb test leader at a minimum... all I can say is my right arm was feeling the burn and my 7 weight rod was bent over the whole time.. surprised the 6lb test held as long as it did.. oh and the black leach I had on, works wonders on salmon.. don't let anyone tell you any different! lol

Thanks again ZG for taking me up there!
Chad it was an absolute pleasure to be on the water with you ! I see that your dedicated and did some homework I must say you handled that Brut the best you could and had no issues having it break off, that my friend was priceless I hope the pics I took turned out ? We will have to do it again and if i can't make it and you decide to take others I know from what I seen yesterday your judgement is bang on ! Only bad point of the entire day was having to pick up a few cans at one of the pools when we 1st got there. Cheers my friend !

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congrats Chadman! It's an awesome feeling.

Are you from the Moncton area? I have been fishing for years up there but like you mentioned it doesn't really matter where you go I also run into lots of fishermen. It's the time of year with people on vacation. Word gets out fast where the fish are taking. The best places have been close to the tidal areas for the Renous with fresh fish entering on the tides and moving up. Other pools up river are not fishing that good with the high water on the Renous and Little Southwest.

Getting a pool to fish alone is really hard unless it's around dinner time. The mornings and evenings are busy! But if you don't mind a few guys around you it can be something you won't see every day. I was up on the Renous near Quarieville and fished around several other guys. Everybody was hooking fish on Wednesday. Fresh fish came in on the tide and we got there late. We went back for the evening fish and the river was full of salmon with everybody hooking or seeing fish jump right in front of them. Those fresh fish take the best and fight the best too! It's not unusual to catch more then one in these types of conditions. One guy hooked 5 in about an hour and lost them all as they were ferocious and his barbless hooks were not keeping them on. Other guys had no issues landing them.

Send me an email to [email protected] Maybe we can hook up for a day sometime.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZG this is my favorite pic of the ones you took, shows my 7wt bent over! really surprised about that 6lb test.. but a softer rod would help it not to break too I guess.

GM, I'm just outside of Moncton. We'll see about heading out, I have limited time to go and most of my time is off during the week but we should be able to get at least a trip in this season.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats on the big hook chad!! sounds and looks like you had a big one on the line !! cool pic, nice bend in the rod too!!

t

1 - 5 of 5 Posts