New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a fellow going to cabelas next week and pick these items up is it a worth while purchase or are these http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Three-ForksPrestige-Plus-Fly-Combo-with-Fly-Line/711520.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104762880%3BMCcat105571980 combos garbage ? I'm looking at buying the 2 piece and the 4 piece 9' 8wt.as spares and having a pole available for someone that might wanna try flyfishing for salmon and don't want to spend the $$ getting geared up thier first trip out. Any info would be great I figure 2 sets all ready to fish for $150.00 canadian can't be all that bad ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've bought lots of stuff from Cabelas ( waders, wading shoes, boots, clothing, some fisihng stuff too) over the years and have been satisfied with all of it. I've never bought a fly rod or reel though. I suspect that this will be good basic entry level product from what you described and should fit the bill for what you want it for.

I used to buy a lot in the past, but shipping, cross border duties, brokerage on shipments has really killed that for me. If you are getting someone to get it for you and bring it back, this would make it a lot more attractive.

You'll have to pay HST when you bring it across, unless it's part of a duty free allowance. I haven't done that in a few years so I'm not up to speed on duty free.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a fellow going to cabelas next week and pick these items up is it a worth while purchase or are these http://www.cabelas.c...BMCcat105571980 combos garbage ? I'm looking at buying the 2 piece and the 4 piece 9' 8wt.as spares and having a pole available for someone that might wanna try flyfishing for salmon and don't want to spend the $ getting geared up thier first trip out. Any info would be great I figure 2 sets all ready to fish for $150.00 canadian can't be all that bad ?
Just from reading the specs the outfits sound like a good deal. I'm not familiar with those brands but I bought a Redington outfit for my son and it was worth every penny. I imagine these would be similar; definitely better than the walmart/Canadian tire outfits...an acquaintance stripped the so-called gears out of one of those reels on a big salmon

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have that exact reel and I LOVE IT just make sure that the reel isn't too small cause my dad told me to get the smalleest cause the others would be too big but i find its too small but i still think its a grat reel i bought the reel for 39.99$ so this should be a good deal! but like wannafish said about the gears i only use it on trout but i love it for them. it has a really good drag system too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Never used their rods, but I own an RLS reel and love it. Good thing about Cabela's is that they stand behind their stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't see how you could go wrong with that set up .... Especially for what you want them for.

I've got a rod to send back for warranty repair ........ Between the shipping and the service charge it will likely cost me more than one of those.

When you think about it .... If you don't like the rods or the reels .....sell em -- you'll be up money.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see how you could go wrong with that set up .... Especially for what you want them for.

I've got a rod to send back for warranty repair ........ Between the shipping and the service charge it will likely cost me more than one of those.

When you think about it .... If you don't like the rods or the reels .....sell em -- you'll be up money.
Thanks for the feed back guys ! Bradley would your broken rod be a redington ? I have one and gotta ship it as well gonna cost more to get it repaired then the price of one of the poles I'm buying. I wouldn't bother getting it fixed but I really like my redington

1 - 9 of 9 Posts