New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you favorite fishing movies or shows(or youtube channels?

It can be pretty much anything, any style, as long as its about fishing.

For myself, "Blue Charm The Movie", fly fishing the River Spey in Scotland has some really nice scenes.

As for TV shows, River Monsters of course, Discovery's Monster Fish with Zeb Hogan, Robson Green's Extreme fishing (if you can get used to Robson..lol), and I just found a similar one called "Off the Hook" (hosted by Eric Young, a wrestler haha).

Those are great for the entertainment, and then the more instructional TV shows are great too like Bill Dance, The Bass Pros, and Youtube channels like Thundermist Lures and the one by Flukemaster.

Gotta deal with the fever somehow haha, what do you guys watch?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I picked up a ton from the Thundermist Lures guy on Youtube. Seems very genial and his articles are more about 'true fishing' than some - he loses gear, films himself while re-tying, answers the comments on his channels nicely, and everyone else he fishes with gets as many if not more fish as he does. In other words, as imperfect as the rest of us. Would love to hoist a beer with him.

I find river monsters to be fun and a great concept but it's over-dramatized, like when the host thinks he's been cursed and stuff. It's that typical annoying Discovery format where a quarter of the show reviews what happened before the commercial, a quarter of the show talks about what will come up after the next commercial, a quarter of the show is actual show content, and a quarter of the show is commercials.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
They had some really good ones in last year's International Fly Fishing Film Festival. I wouldn't mind finding them online!

·
Registered
598 Posts
...It's that typical annoying Discovery format where a quarter of the show reviews what happened before the commercial, a quarter of the show talks about what will come up after the next commercial, a quarter of the show is actual show content, and a quarter of the show is commercials.
LOL! Its like you've been bugging my TV room. Drives me friggin' crazy.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have Roger's then of course there is Backwater Casting with Rick Greene here in NB.

Canadian Shows I PVR:

Dave Mercer's Facts of Fishing - (Dave Mercer - Various Rogers Sportsnet channels - times vary) - Bass fishing

Fishful Thinking - (Charlie Wray - Global Maritimes Saturdays & Sundays) - Bit of everything but lots of great lakes trolling. Often covers North Pike fishing - we don't have them but I think all would apply to Chain Pickerel fishing.

Canadian Sportfishing - (Italo Labignan - Various Rogers Sportsnet channels - times vary) - The most diverse show, one of the few that get into fly fishing and kayak fishing.

Bob Izumi's Real Fishing - ( Bob Izumi - Global Maritimes Saturday) - Bit of everything but slight focus on bass fishing. Bob can't stop laughing and eating timbits!

Fish 'n Canada - (Angelo Viola & Pete Bowman - Global Maritimes Saturday) - Bit of everything but over-produced with 10 mins of each show basically an infomercial for Dodge Ram trucks, Cooper tires, & Muskol).

Fish TV - (Two guys - Various Rogers Sportsnet channels - times vary) - Two guys go to a lodge, sometimes with their buddy Nik Antropov, and you get to watch them catch fish!

Online besides the infinite amount you can watch on Youtube, I watch US NE based Backwoods Angler TV with Blaine Mengel - mostly bass and trout fishing.

http://blip.tv/backwoodsanglertv

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I like fishing shows that teach me something. I don't like, nor do I watch shows that are basically home videos of people reeling in fish, without at least first showing/telling what they are doing in order to catch that fish. I hate when the first thing you see is a guy reeling in a fish, then releasing it, then the next segment jumps immediatly to the next guy reeling a fish, and so on. If I want to watch home videos, I'll watch my own.That said, I like shows such as Sport Fishing On The Fly. Not only do they tell you what's going on as they are attempting to catch a fish, they also take you to the vise and show you how to tie the fly that they caught the fish on. THAT'S the kind of fishing show I like!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Facts of Fishing, Fishful Thinking. Used to love Spirt Fishing on the Fly, but can't get it on fibre op. Used to also enjoy What A Catch with Kathryn Maroun

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome guys these shows look great

..."a quarter of the show talks about what will come up after the next commercial, a quarter of the show is actual show content, and a quarter of the show is commercials."
Truer words were never spoken.

I just checked out "The Fishing Adventurer", hes a guy from Montreal who goes around the world, hes got a bunch of full episodes for free on his site http://www.fishingadventurer.com/ and I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. Entertaining but he actually shows a decent amount of technique/ preparation as well.

As for the International Fly Fishing Film Festival films online, I'm gonna to do some searching and see if I can put a list of them together,I'll let you guys know, that'd be an amazing watch for sure.

Facts of Fishing, Fishful Thinking. Used to love Spirt Fishing on the Fly, but can't get it on fibre op. Used to also enjoy What A Catch with Kathryn Maroun
For Sport Fishing on the Fly, I'm not sure about all the episodes, but I just found seasons 6, 7, and 8 available to watch for free on on the official website.

http://www.sfotf.ca/watch-index/

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Fishing Adventurer is a great show, I watch it on RadX on Rogers.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm jealous of you guys because I get no enjoyment whatsoever from fishing shows. I don't find they are relevant to me and my fishing at all.

I don't have Rogers, so I can't watch Rick's show.

The only exceptions is when I stumble on one where they are fly fishing for Atlantics, or fishing SMB, both of which are rare.And most SMB shows I've seen, they are simply casting out and reeling in. Most don't even show what lure they are using, let alone discuss techniques and stuff.

Loved the show when FIshin Canada was hunting stripers in Hampton.

But there are so few shows like that, that I stopped looking a long time ago.

Thanks to this thread, though, I'll check out You\Tube because it would be easy to search for the kinds of videos that interest me, rather than the hit-and-miss (mostly miss) nature of television,

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I find most of the shows tell you what they are using and how to use it, facts of fishing, Fishful thinking certainly do. Sport fishing on the fly shows you how to tie the fly they are using in the show, what more could you ask for?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Personally I find the bass and walleye shows to be boring because it seems too easy to find and hook the fish. Sadly most of the shows on tv are about bass. I prefer when they talk about fly fishing. Just my preference. It was cool to have Canadian Sportsfishing in Doaktown and on the Restigouche.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I find most of the shows tell you what they are using and how to use it, facts of fishing, Fishful thinking certainly do. Sport fishing on the fly shows you how to tie the fly they are using in the show, what more could you ask for?
Maybe I should give them another look then. I stopped watching a long time ago because I got frustrated watching guys have fabulous fishing but never showing their lure or talking about it, or their techniques, or what structure they were fishing over, all that sort of thing.

THis weekend I'll watch or tape all of the fishing shows and give them another chance.

·
Registered
981 Posts
lobsterman, if you're on high-speed try some of the youtube videos too. They're often shorter and less of a time-sink and all you have to do is close the browser window if you find they're wasting your time.

See if this guy might have something for you. If you make it to the end of the posted intro video and there's not a smile on your face when you see the host's reaction, you're not a fisherman. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do In Depth Outdoors on youtube, they have a weekly show focusing more on ice fishing than anything else, and do multi species (quite often yellow perch and pan fish), which is quite relevant to NB since they have many of the same species now. but thanks for the other suggestions guys!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just wrote a big post on the fishing shows and went to add a link to some pics from my gallery then lost the darn post..???.....

ok here was the jist of that post......the fishin canada show from Hampton was actaully prompted by a big ol pig caught near Darling Island back in sept of 2006 I think?????....the producers of Fishing Canada heard about that and came down here to see what they could hook into.....now they didnt have much luck or as much luck as they wanted to in the Hampton area.........and then decided to try the Harrts Island area near Gagetown....actually they settled on fishing under and near the highway #2 overpass near Harrts Island area.......they were catching lots of stripers which they were thrilled with but nothing near the size that ther were initially buzzed about......see the links here to a few pics I have of that river monster caught near Darling Island/Hampton KV River a few years back.....man this is a slab of a striper........YAHTZEE !!!!!!!

http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php/gallery/image/2202-kv-river-striper-4/

http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php/gallery/image/2186-kv-river-striper-2/

http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php/gallery/image/2194-kv-river-striper-3/

http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php/gallery/image/2178-kv-river-striper-1/

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah that was Henry that caught the monster, he also took the guys from fishin canada out on their trip down here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts