New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think about the notion that there might not be a "real" fall run this year because of the high water this summer? I've heard this from many well known and experienced anglers. I'm positive that the fish will still be there but maybe in smaller numbers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What do you all think about the notion that there might not be a "real" fall run this year because of the high water this summer? I've heard this from many well known and experienced anglers. I'm positive that the fish will still be there but maybe in smaller numbers.
Captian I'm no expert ! But I have to reply to this. Is your question valid ? Absoutley ! I pondered this the whole summer. Here is my take on this summer.

I start fishing a certain salmon river every long weekend in May. So this May, I geared upped to fish this river but I always targeted trout and make a weekend out of it scouting for the summer run of salmon . ( checking pools and trails into them ) This past May I was dumbfounded I was all geared to fish for trout. 3wt and a 4wt as a spare. My 1st nite after doing alot of walking and having no action I said to myself something is not right. I always had great fishing trout this time of year here. I packed it in went back to my camp site started a fire and started to ponder all of a sudden ... splash that was May 21st. I took it as a beaver maybe an anaimal. I proceeded to cook supper and sure enough I heard this again ... I knew then but was confused ... way too early for salmon but it was. That next morning I was on the river at 6:30 am once again with my 3 wt. I did hook into some trout but that big trout that was leaping was a grilse !!

I guess the reason of my reply is nothing is in stone, things change, times do change I seen it 1st hand. So the fall run who really knows ?? All I can say is get out and maybe you will notice things as I did .. if it is a bad trip so be it !! but when is a bad outting on the river ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
To be perfectly honest, there hasn't been a great fall run the last few years. Seems like most of the fish are coming in a little earlier, as long as the water is good. Don't get me wrong, there will still be a lot of fish in the river, but there may not be a big run of fresh fish come in - just a few trickling in here and there. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regardless if there's a run or not, it's not all about hooking fish and I'll continue hitting the river 2-3 days a week. I was just curious to hear other opinions. Sure is looking good weather wise for the next 5 days! Tight lines!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I haven't fall fished in 20 years but one thing I do know is that with the water conditions all year it has been a wonderful migration year for the salmon.....the more that get through the gauntlet to spawn the better the fishing will be in the future

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven't fall fished in 20 years but one thing I do know is that with the water conditions all year it has been a wonderful migration year for the salmon.....the more that get through the gauntlet to spawn the better the fishing will be in the future
Now if only the conversation groups can convince Greenland to extend the moratorium on their interceptory commercial fishery. Wouldn't that be nice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Now if only the conversation groups can convince Greenland to extend the moratorium on their interceptory commercial fishery. Wouldn't that be nice.
Mr Taylor and the ASF along with the other NGO's sure have thier work cut out for them
The bits and pieces of info I get from The NSSA and other sorces in the "Know" make it sound like it is going to be an uphill battle. If they start harvesting Wild Atlantic Salmon off the coast of Greenland for processing again the population is in deep deep trouble....in one fowl swoop they could knock out the already struggling genetic strain of some of the smaller rivers and put a big dent in the returns of the bigger rivers like The "Chi , Retigouche , Humber, Bonaventure, Cascapedia etc etc etc....If folks have any interest at all they will join and support the local river groups and larger NGO's
Sad very sad to think of what can happen if this goes down wrong

1 - 8 of 8 Posts