New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the past two days of fishing, and what I'm hearing from others, the Main SW around Doaktown is very hot right now. I was fishing a Green Machine white tail (barbless) at a friend's private pool the past two days, and results were fantastic. On Friday I hooked 12 and released 4. Among those lost were a 15+ pounder and a 20+ pounder, both hooked early evening. This morning I hooked 8, released 3 and tagged 1, all before 9am! All fish fought hard and released well. I'm heading back again in the morning and hoping to have my first three-day-back-to-back limit!

Tight lines!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow! Mark those dates in your journal. I highly doubt you will ever have fishing that good again. Unreal! That is why we need to have tags reduced and rivers go catch and release for part of the year. It allows us to enjoy these great rivers for years to come.

People have a hard time understanding how we have it so good here in New Brunswick for salmon fishing. We really need to protect it and cherish it.

Congrats on the incrdible fishing!

How's that new Z-Axis working for you?? What did you get for length and line weight?

Take care!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Mark those dates in your journal. I highly doubt you will ever have fishing that good again. Unreal! That is why we need to have tags reduced and rivers go catch and release for part of the year. It allows us to enjoy these great rivers for years to come.

People have a hard time understanding how we have it so good here in New Brunswick for salmon fishing. We really need to protect it and cherish it.

Congrats on the incrdible fishing!

How's that new Z-Axis working for you?? What did you get for length and line weight?

Take care!
Yeah it's been great the past two days. I've heard similar stories in the area. With the exception of a trip to Northern Peninsula Newfoundland a few years ago, this will go down as one of the all time greats.

At one point on Friday I actually cut off my hook and for the first time tried "Touch and Release". I read about it in the current edition of Atlantic Salmon Journal... for when the rivers are too warm/low for even hook and release. You can keep people on the pools with Touch and Release and deter poachers, etc. I was at three fish released and it was only mid-day. So I had some fun just rising the salmon, feeling a tug or two and a swirl, but no actual hooking. Then switched back to barbless in the evening to finish off the day. I would have laughe at you if you had told me a week ago i'd be cutting off my hook because the fishing was too good!

I completely agree with your comments re: tags. I think the catch and release license should be a bit cheaper to motivate people, and have one 'emergency' tag in case a fish dies in battle (how heartbreaking to release an injured/exhaused fish only to watch it turn belly up, and not have any options). That's the only reason I have a retention license (and I guess as I mentioned it was nice to be able to offer that skipper a fish... it made his week to have a fresh salmon that was caught in his own pool).

The Z-Axis is super. Got 10 foot 8 weight. I always use extra long leader (around 15 feet) and the rod casts great. Same with the new gortex waders. For the first time at the end of the day my pants aren't soaked! Goodbye Canadian Tire specials!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts