New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky to win crown water at Elbow in the first week of July. I am taking my 12 year old son and would appreciate any tips that may make our trip more enjoyable. We are both amatuers and it was our first time in the lottery. I have caught a few Salmon last year but do not know much about what we won.

Is it easy to drive into this camp? Car or truck?
Camp conditions? Bring a sleeping bag or do I need to pack a tent?
Pools? Are they easy to find? Walking or ATV? Are they marked?
Flies needed? Dry or wet? any specifics would be great. Not too worry we have lots of green machines.
Types of rod? single handed, spey or switch? How far is it to cast accross the river?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Camp is new, within last 3 years. great shape, has plastic on the matteresses. just bring a sleeping bag
Pools in front of the camp are good, and the pools above are a decent walk, up and down steep trails.
we used our atv's to get to the lower pools, and they were ok.
river is narrow, regular fly rod is all you need. you will enjoy it the first week of july, great time for that stretch. we are the stretch above the sencond week in july.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I will be fishing there the same time you are. Thats funny, it was my first time in the lottery too. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was in there about 5yrs ago and we had a car in there.
I was at Stony Brook 3yrs ago and had a visit from DNR and were chattin' and they said the road into Elbow at that time was in bad shape...however - I think the new camp has been built since then and assume the road has improved?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also got drawn for early July. I am curious how easy it is to wak to some of the pools by the camp and in the lower stretch once you drive in the road. My father would like to go but he is older and has problem climbing up and down some of the steeper hills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BrunswickBud/Soupafly,

I fished at Elbow before and there can be good fishing at Island, Elbow and Elbow run, so your father won't have to go on any long excursions if he doesn't want to, in order to have some good water to fish.

The upper pools can be a little more challenging to get to, as there is a couple of river corssings. The Everetts Pool is also a nice pool and is accessed best with an ATV. I fished the pools below also but again it is river walking and more challenging to get to.

As with all the other stretches, you will have some good water to fish and the DNR has put in a good effort to upgrade the accommodations over the last few years.

You don't have to put out a long line to fish some productive waters although Everetts can be an exception, in order to fish the whole pool.

Your best bet is to bring a few other flies other than green machines as the fish can get lock jaw for green, at times. Trout Brook fly shop is worth a stop, for some good advice on your way to the stretch. Last year we had a great time on this stretch as the water levels were perfect.

Have a good trip guys!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like a nice place to apply for I have been on these crown reserve stretches but never had any problem with getting in. Why can't they be all the same access ? I know what the country is like up there i have a camp in the area but wouldn't more accessable fishing mean more applications mean more money for dnr, nblcc, and more stable jobs!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are there any brooks to use a spin rod in the Elbow area? We are bringing some children and would like a trout supper.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Soupafly, I've never been on this stretch of water, but heard it can be hot when the timing is right... first week of July should be a good time.

Do a google search for Doug Underhill's river report sometime, it's updated every Thursday with some very good info. take a look at some of the patterns that have been fishing well in other parts of the Miramichi system to give you some ideas of patterns and sizes. You can also check out some of the archived river reports from years past to see what flies fished well for the same timeframe.

Most of the members on here are very helpfull, may not always hand you the information, but can send you in the right direction to find it for yourself.
As for the other members.... this is just a place to rant and rave about what the rest of us are doing wrong! But they're easily spotted on here, as you already know.

As for feeding the kids... try hotdogs! Most kids love em'!
just joking (sorry about that, had to say something)

Hope you have an enjoyable trip and a memorable one too! Good luck
M

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm at stoney on June 22, I'll let you know about the fishing.
Guys, there is a nice pool downstream of Stoney camp, about 1 km. Is that on the elbow streatch or is it open? I'd like to fish it.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was under the impression that the NW catch and release regs were for salmon only anyone know this for sure? Don't see a problem with some kids catching a couple trout for the supper table if it is legal under the regulations and i think that was the point in him asking about the regulations haha. I would be leery about having spinning gear on crown reserve though, could avoid some headaches explaining why you have it...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Crown Reserve waters and the NW above Wayerton Bridge are C&R all year and fly fishing only....don't really think that you want to get caught on a CR trip with 4 spinning rods at the camp as depending on the CO it could turn a trip of a lifetime into a hard old go even if the intentions were good.

**Edited**

As long as the kids aren't fishing the river with the spinning gear I can't see any problem with this ...I think the point was , Be ready to explain to enforcement officers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts