New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
So I had those 10 inch perch bunch of them decided to finally try one and WOW what a great taste I just fryed it in a pan with a sqaure of butter and some salt on it flipped it a few times till it was slightly dark golden brown and wow.. what a great taste! I now know I will be eating these fellers alot more for a snack !
lol

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they go really nice with a mixed plate of other fish, like trout or mackerel and even white perch. half the time i eat them dusted with cajun mix. adding a touch of ground ginger to the oil makes them even sweeter. i wonder how they would go with baked gaspereaux?

·
Registered
184 Posts
they do get worms, but you can just poke them out with your filet knife and make sure they are well cooked and you'll be fine! Perch is one of my favorite fish to eat and are just about as good as walleye.

When i plan to have a fish fry i like to keep a few yellow perch, sunfish and maybe a pickerel or bass, fry them in some oil and dust the filets with flour, salt and pepper. Fish crisp is great for them too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
They are great tasting...i like white perch better though. The thing is, like any fish, be careful on how much you consume and how often. Mercury (like Lead) is an accumlative poison...it never leaves the body and builds up over time. As far as I know, most fish species now have traces of Mercury in them.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
we have been talking about them so much lately, i brought some home tonight to join me for supper! lol, yummy!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahah awesome iPop ! how were they ? or are you jsut throwin them flower on them now
haha

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they were great. i find i do a better job cooking them if i just do 2 fillettes at a time in the pan. they rarely get a chance to cool down - just toooooo yummy!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just fried up a great feed of white, yellow perch, pickerel and bass. They were all alive this morning! Nothing beats the fry when it is that fresh. Surprisingly only found a couple of worms in a mess of 40 fish. The smallest perch was 10 inches and caught a couple of tanks that were over 12. The bite was so hot that at one point we were hauling them in as fast as the bait hit the water. It was my sons 14th birthday and he had an absolute blast. I'm still strying to get the grin off his face. Enjoy the water folks, today was a blast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jeez... the yellow perch mucst not like me much... i always throw them back because i haven't caught any ever over about 6 inches.

now fall fish i can catch them 10+inches all day... atleast their mild entertainment when the fishing is slow for me.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
@ Emptynetmaster: you ate pickerel this time of year??? Weren't they stinky?

@ Frankz82: Try a #3 Hildebrandt spinner with about six inches of leader between it and your hook, and a piece of worm. Cast out and reel just slow enough for the blade to spin. They go nuts for that! You may need to add a splitshot sinker in order for your cast to get enough distance.

·
Registered
576 Posts
@ Emptynetmaster: you ate pickerel this time of year??? Weren't they stinky?

@ Frankz82: Try a #3 Hildebrandt spinner with about six inches of leader between it and your hook, and a piece of worm. Cast out and reel just slow enough for the blade to spin. They go nuts for that! You may need to add a splitshot sinker in order for your cast to get enough distance.
we keep pickerel from spring til fall, all taste great, didn't notice any taste difference between them

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stroover;
They were great! I was never too excited about eating them until I learned how to filet them. I'm not a computer guy, but if you search youtube theres an ol dude that does a short video and it works! When your done, each pickerel will give you four filets. Good times boys, talk soon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts