New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering where ypu guys normally find your small mouth hanging early in the year? I havnt had much luck in the past getting out early, you find them deep and fish them slow?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I find they usually have no problem hitting large inline spinners and spoons while trout fishing in April. By May, they will hit most anything, especially baits fished on the bottom. Tubes, grubs and flukes will work year round. You have to find the spawning areas and they will usually not be far.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I am by no means a smallie expert, but my 4" Rapala Original Floating Bleeding Copper Flash seems to be a smallie magnet early in the season. They hit it on top (right on surface to about 6" down) while trolling slowly, right along the banks right until around mid to the end of May,They equally seem to like my spinnebaits, especially with the yellow skirt, but they seem to like this one in slightly deeper water (8-12 feet).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are thier any decent size smallie spots around saint john or general ideas of were they'd be around?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have had a lot of luck at lake utopia from shore with just night crawler. Last year we were getting a good sized smallie almost every cast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts