New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im heading up to the dungarvon for a week and just wondering about water conditions ,temps or anything that may help me thanks guys in advance

·
Registered
124 Posts
Water temps I suppose will be in the high fifties and low sixties this morning. It didn't get hot yesterday at all and if it's anything like the Cains with many brooks draining into it I would say the water levels will be high but dropping all week depending on rain forcast. It rained hard up there yesterday morning.

It should be a wicked week for you. The fish down river are on the move from being held up in the humid warmer days we had the last few weeks. This will probably be one of the best first weeks of August ever.

The conditions are right for this time of year.

I would start up river and work you way down unless you only go to a few pools. Get a backroads mapbook and the old river map off Manzer and go to er!

Wish I had the week off!

·
Registered
203 Posts
hey guys, im heading up to the dungarvon for a week and just wondering about water conditions ,temps or anything that may help me thanks guys in advance
im heading up this week to the dungarvon as well, caught one this past tuesday there. water was perfect then but not as many fish around do to the warmer weather i imagine like green machine said this week should be great.saw one roll at one pool in the morning,then didnt see anything else until i had one on the end of my line a couple hours later.
im not sure if your familiar with the area but keep an eye out as there is alot of cold spring fed bogans and brooks that will hold fish on that river. and dont be scared to toss a muddler into any little small body of water you may come across near the river while driving, the dungarvon is littered with tons of little spots where a person can get into some nice brookies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im heading up this week to the dungarvon as well, caught one this past tuesday there. water was perfect then but not as many fish around do to the warmer weather i imagine like green machine said this week should be great.saw one roll at one pool in the morning,then didnt see anything else until i had one on the end of my line a couple hours later.
im not sure if your familiar with the area but keep an eye out as there is alot of cold spring fed bogans and brooks that will hold fish on that river. and dont be scared to toss a muddler into any little small body of water you may come across near the river while driving, the dungarvon is littered with tons of little spots where a person can get into some nice brookies.
where abouts you fishing up there? maybe we'll run into each other

·
Registered
203 Posts
i agree, its my absolute favorite river.
i usually fish the lower stretches just a few km's up from from where the dungarvon meets the renous. you turn at blackville and drive up through a little spot called lockstead.
theres a pool there called the gravel pit pool, and there is a couple good spots just upriver from there, and then i usually cut through the woods and jump upriver a few km's and fish a couple more secretive spots haha i still haven't been to the upper stretches, usually once a year ill go over the porter cove/priceville bridge by ponds and head up the logging roads, you eventually cross the bartholomew and shortly after that meet the dungarvon. even if you don't know any specific pools to go to you can follow right along the river there and discover some nice spots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI all, first post here. I have been reading up for about a month and thought I would finally break the ice.

I fished the Dungarven hard on Monday thinking the conditions would be perfect. They seemed perfect but couldn't catch a cold. We fished the McConnell Brook pool down to the dead water (Gut a Deer Lodge) for about 3 hours in the morning...nothing. We fished the ledge pool and pine island in late afternoon...saw 1 jump. Fished the upper bridge pool at supper time and then went back to the ledge pool til dark...nothing.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in on this river.

JA

·
Registered
203 Posts
i fished for half an hour thursday night and got another big grilse in the dungarvon. yesturday i caught a bunch of nice trout that were fun to play and release. the 2 i was with rolled 3 salmon fishing for about 2 hours altogether. the thing is in the main river you know there is always gonna be a few fish around atleast, whether they take or not is another thing. but in the dungarvon and smaller rivers you can be in spots where there is groups of fish running or holding or there could be nothing, and you'll find spots where they will hold, sometimes they are there sometimes they aren't. there is not as many fish obviously runnning those smaller rivers and they run in smaller groups. i just find that enjoyable because you can wander around and find nice runs and pools that aren't well known, one spot there wont be anything, and another spot could be full of fish.

the water table is quite high though, i have family over there and they say any little bit of rain this year and the water will turn a tea color, not really dirty but darker.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HI all, first post here. I have been reading up for about a month and thought I would finally break the ice.

I fished the Dungarven hard on Monday thinking the conditions would be perfect. They seemed perfect but couldn't catch a cold. We fished the McConnell Brook pool down to the dead water (Gut a Deer Lodge) for about 3 hours in the morning...nothing. We fished the ledge pool and pine island in late afternoon...saw 1 jump. Fished the upper bridge pool at supper time and then went back to the ledge pool til dark...nothing.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in on this river.

JA
i must of just missed you i stayed at gut a deer lodge from monday till saturday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts